Best US Soap Scenes

• Members

Real talk- the reason we never got Jason/Carly was that Steve Burton fought that pairing at every turn.  At first he was waiting out Kimberly McCullough’s visits from school.  Then when they broke them up and Robin was really gone, he played against romantic interest with Carly.

I think Burton had actual chemistry with all three of the major Carly’s, and I think Sonny has not always had romantic chemistry with Laura Wright.

Until Sam came along, I was pretty sure he wanted to be paired with Liz.  It was the only time outside of Robin I saw him come alive in a romantic storyline.  Again, before Sam arrived, when she thought Lucky was dead.

Maurice had a couple of duds by the time they paired him with Carly.  I think he was probably active in getting that pairing because he wanted to act with someone great again.

I love Vanessa Marcil.  Love Brenda.  But if she’s not willing to sign at least a two year contract, I do not wish to see her return again.  Her first return was so successful, but the show was a mess while they scrambled to reset after she left.  And the second time it was 60% of her return was a story she hated and fought against, and had so many weird missteps.

The whole Dante/Brenda thing was a mess.  The kid- a mess and a waste.  That should have been Jax’s kid.  The Balkan was a fine idea but it was executed stupidly. 

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That weird, surreal moment when my favorite soap opera and my favorite rock group intersect. Private Idaho is my favorite song ever but Throw That Beat in the Garbage Can is such a bizarre choice. I saw an interview with the B-52s where even they couldn’t understand why the producers wanted them to play it. They thought it was a weird choice too. I guess it’s worth it just for the image of Vanessa Chamberlain grooving on a live performance of Throw That Beat in the Garbage Can. It’s like what you would think watching a GL episode while on acid would be like. 

I tell you, that Wired For Sound was a happening place. I would’ve been there every night. 

• Members

Y&R 1998- Nikki hospital scenes after being shot by Veronica Landers. (Wish I could find that full story line anywhere). They really did a good job making Melody Thomas Scott appear as if she were actually on her death bed. It lead to the whole Victor divorcing Diane to let Nikki die in peace then Nikki surviving fiasco. Of all the soaps 90s Y&R arguably had the best directing: ornate camera angles and shadowy lighting. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_9CxbSuzZXNwXleXR56goOsQGesp0ZKq

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Any proper Erica Kane fan would have to defend her in this scene.  It is an offense to have a local syndicated columnist be nominated for the same award as an astronaut and the world's shortest supermodel.  Clearly, Erica should have always steered clear of any event called "woman of the year". 

• Members

I wanted to join these clips into one sequence but the free software out there was just not working on my laptop at the moment.

So I'm just going to go on ahead and post these scenes as separate clips, sorry. The good news is these scenes are worth the aggravation.  I love the music cues, especially the one in the very last scene.  A lot of verbal jousting but in the end, Lucinda is a Savage!

Please register in order to view this content

Oh, and Lucinda is ruthless!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Kim Hughes and John Dixon were as supportive as they were combative over how best to help their son Andy, never more so than when Andy struggled with alcoholism. 

As cantankerous as John Dixon could be, this scene in the hospital chapel shows how good Larry Bryggman was a showing John's vulnerability as he prays for Andy's survival from carbon monoxide poisoning after Andy passed out with the engine still running (in a closed garage, of course).  Kathryn Hays is a quiet presence but the non-verbal interaction between the two just adds to the poignancy of the scene.

To the everlasting disgrace of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, Kathyn Hays was never awarded the Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Performance for a Lead Actress but she certainly deserved one. 

Custody at 19?!  

Andy is again the source of much hand-wringing between his parents Kim and John but this time their interaction is much more combative as Kim shows how absurd John is acting in blaming her for Andy moving out to live with the newest town tramp, Julie Wendell. Hays has so many levels and she deftly deploys them so subtly in this scene. 

It was said the Kimberly Sullivan (later Hughes) was the last known character created by the show's creator Irna Phillips, which just goes to prove that despite her temperament and the way things ended between her and P&G, Irna Phillips was one 'Bad B*tch' (may she R.I.P.) in the best way possible because Kim was such a memorable character right up to the show's very end, despite how marginalized the most senior veteran characters were by then.

• Members

Two indelible memories of Hays and Bryggman (separately) - the scene when Kim loses her wedding ring down the drain while she and Bob are separated (because of Susan).

And Bryggman is absolutely heartbreaking in the hospital scene where John holds his son Johnny until the baby dies. Fortunately, LB didn't really need ATWT by the turn of the century when TPTB lost interest in the character of John, because he had a Broadway career, but it was nice that he came back in 2010 for the end..

Edited by BuckyB12

• Members

I am entranced by many of these stellar scenes from years gone by. We are so lucky to have them saved and available for viewing!

It does sadden me, however, that so much extraordinary material from the past has been erased and therefore lost forever.

One of the best scenes I have ever seen on daytime TV was from ANOTHER WORLD back in the late 1960s, during the engagement party for Alice Matthews and Steven Frame. Seething with jealousy that she had lost Steve to Alice, a vindictive and spiteful Rachel maneuvered to get Alice alone and then told her that she (Rachel) was pregnant with Steve's baby. Rachel was married to Alice's brother Russ at the time, but had set her marks on Steve and become pregnant. She was lying to everyone in town about the child's actual paternity, but she wanted Alice to know the truth, just to break Alice and Steven up. What a BITCH.

Even today, five long decades later, I remember this classic scene (which Jacquie Courtney and Robin Strasser acted the HELL out of.) Excellent script, fine direction, brilliant acting. I wish y'all could have seen it.

• Members

In many parts of the world today is Sunday and on Sunday some people are in church, which reminds me of one of the funniest episodes that I can remember on As The World Turns, Brian & Shannon's Wedding Disaster, which was the epitome of a wedding gone terribly awry. 

Eileen Fulton is so funny in this wedding sequence, even providing some physical comedy and the guests serve as a hilarious Greek chorus, of sorts.

• Members

Robin Strasser has spoken about that iconic scene in the past too.

So many classic scenes are ether lost due to the nature of production at the time, or not available to anyone to view because of copyright and money to make them available.

I am just thankful that some amazing people have added classics to the internet so I could see them again, or for the first time.

• Members

I LOVE Susan Lucci, and what soaps fan does not?  You must respect her place in history no matter how you may feel about some of her performances.  I mean, she is the ultimate soap actress.  

However, I watched Alex skin Roger alive as a kid, and those scenes were riveting beyond compare.  

Woman of the year didn't make that impression.  

Marlena levitating didn't do it for me either, and I am a HUGE Days fan.  

No, Beverly delivered the best possible performance at that country club.  It was not over the top, or too understated.  Bev found the perfect balance and made history.   I have watched daytime for most of my 39 years, and those scenes at the country club were the best I have ever viewed.