Best US Soap Scenes

• Members

Not to trigger anyone with these depictions of sexual assault, but there was Marty’s rape, which 26 years later is still unsettling and maybe a touch overproduced (even if it’s effective at conveying Marty’s drunken disorientation and dissociation). But it’s mostly about Powell’s manpain. Still that story touched everyone in Llanview for years, even if Marty ultimately became defined by it.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My late grandmother was a CBS soap watcher, so I am somewhat familiar with B&B, even not watching it myself. But...dayum, that Ridge/Caroline scene makes Drake Hogestyn (at least in the same time frame!) look positively talented (though, to be fair, his RoJohn had genuine warmth and charm, which served him well - and, I admit, I like(d) him!).

Ronn Moss' atrocious delivery reminds me of that Jon Lovitz SNL character and "ACH-TING!"

Edited by Wendy

• Members

The best thing about soap storytelling is just how much ground they can cover, and the good ones do.  The angle of Powell in Marty’s rape story and aftermath was a strong part of that story.  How privilege and conforming can play a part in group assaults like what happened to her.  Especially in a college setting.

Drake had a lot of warmth and charm as Roman.  He was a classic soap opera himbo back then.  By the time Wayne returned and he decided to play John as a little tortured, it has been rough seas ever since.

Although I have never watched B&B regularly, I’ve seen enough to say Ronn Moss has the acting talent of a block of wood with cheekbones and abs.

• Members

And in the end, because Roger Howarth was a great actor, we had to go from just how awful this was to Todd being a lovable rascal.  Yes he stalked Nora and if I remember correctly attacked Luna.  But he became a cooky character that was sometimes shady.

When he hit Tea, and people were all up in arms about it, I remember thinking well he did participate and orchestrate a horrible gang rape so this seems perfectly in character  to me.

And I liked Todd.  But I knew who I was watching.

• Members

Soaps have gone too often to this well, even if we know how unfortunately too common sexual violence against women can be. But these stories have so often created powerful scenes. I loved Dano and Coppola together, and the last few seconds of this clip are imprinted on my mind forever.

• Members

The attack on Steve and Audrey was pretty brutal but displays how much emotional power GH had in those days. Watching Ryan now isn't scary one bit, it's comical to say the least.

Sonny Corinthos pales in comparison to Todd Manning in terms of crime. It's amazing how Todd went from a scary "hateable" bastard to a comical villain. But once TSJ (who is a decent actor) took over the role and his Todd did things like beat up Cole, berate Langston and  push Starr off the boardwalk he became reprehensible all over again. The two Todds story was convoluted but I'm glad it brought back RH. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Marsha Talbot had to be one of the most menacing characters that I'd ever seen on daytime television.  She wasn't your typical soap villain.  On the surface, she appeared cool, calm and collected, even icy at times but underneath she was a bubbling cauldron of venality.  Highly intelligent to the point of being calculating, manipulative, controlling and deeply disturbed- nobody wanted to mess with her. 

Thank goodness Marland had the sense never to try to "rehabilitate" Marsha the way so many soaps try to do with charismatic characters who were villains.  (Spoiler Alert: Marsha ended up getting what she deserved in life and that was the end of it).

• Members

I honestly think B&B remained #2 largely because of the time slot and following directly after Y&R in most markets. I believe it comes on at 1:30 pm in a lot of places, and that's an odd time to try to pick up another soap. I have relatives that have basically hated the show for years but just keep it on because it follows Y&R. It's unfortunate though that when other soaps had the opportunity to overtake it, they squandered it.

In 2002, after Sheila shot Taylor and they killed Taylor off (in October) and I think Sheila went to jail and then whole stupid Brooke/Ridge kidnap arc, there was a GOLDEN opportunity for other soaps to move into that slot. Here were the ratings:

December 2-6, 2002

HH

1. Y&R 4.7 (+.1)

2. GH 3.6 (same)

2. DAYS 3.6 (+.1)

4. B&B 3.5 (-.2)

5. AMC 3.3 (+.2)

6. ATWT 3.2 (-.2)

6. OLTL 3.2 (same)

8. GL 2.6 (-.2)

9. PSNS 2.1 (+.1)

10. PC 1.8 (+.1)

It's just unfortunate that DAYS and GH couldn't sustain the numbers because B&B hasn't really deserved to be the #2 soap since the early 00's (frankly, it never really deserved it outside of 1992-1994  but that's another conversation)

• Members

I do recall one scene Kelly and Eden had awhile after the rape.. after Kelly was almost attacked where she was sorry for not being there for Eden more.  And I recall right after Eden got raped, Gina came to the Capwell mansion since she knew what Eden was going through and CC chased her away.  Other than those few nuggets, I agree not much was shown from others on what had happened to Eden.

• Members

That’s the thing: people often say that Y&R was like a bunch of a spheres that often didn’t mix. But within those spheres, relationships were honored. You didn’t have situations like Eden going through a traumatic experience within a little silo with Cruz and Julia or Maxie (on GH) mooning over her creepy boyfriend while her longtime best friend was in the hospital in critical condition after being stabbed by a serial killer.

Nothing frustrates me more about soaps than beats in relationships not being played, especially when they waste so much time with throwaway scenes. I get that cast availability is an issue. But... figure it out. These oversights destroy my investment in a show. I was checking in on GH a bit for the Ryan story, but now I don’t care. They lost a viewer.

Edited by Faulkner