Best US Soap Scenes

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Douglas Marland was all about 'real talk' in how he wrote dialogue for his characters and he often had characters discuss really uncomfortable and awkward topics.  Sometimes the characters themselves would mention how uncomfortable certain topics made them feel. 

I remember on one occasion on ATWT, a couple was was arguing and the wife wanted to talk about the lack of sex in their marriage and her husband replied that he hadn't been raised to discuss these types of thing. Before that, the wife had wanted to discuss how her husband sometimes handled her "rough" during sex.  

Marland pulled no punches with dialogue dealing with intimate issues.

• Members

I watched the scenes of Eden’s rape on Santa Barbara, which was also very disturbing, but it was done in this amped-up, exploitative  (very Chuck Pratt) set-piece way, whereas the violence here is more unsettling through not being seen. 

What really bothered me about Eden’s rape (other than the disgusting revelation that the gynecologist who examined her was the perpetrator) was that it seemed to have no big impact on characters beyond Cruz. I kept wondering, where are Eden’s siblings throughout this story? Where’s her mother? Where’s their angst and struggle? I always most appreciated soaps that showed how traumas rippled out to affect a community.

Edited by Faulkner