Sara Joy Brown on Les Moonves Hurting Her Career

• Members

Probably because TIIC decided to have two characters named Julia appear in Oakdale in the space of less than five years.  And both were connected to Jack. 

The writing on this show was inexcusably poor in the final decade. I just cannot get over it.

How much did you follow the show?

Julia Larrabee was JJ's mother.  JJ ended up living with Jack, Carly, Parker and Sage after Julia was murdered.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You obviously have no idea what this type of treatment does to a person mentally.  When they begin to talk, it's like a floodgate.  It really messes with you, especially when no one has your back.  I work in Corporate America. I had a job that was so bad to POC that management felt comfortable telling you that if you say anything to HR, you are out of a job. HR was in on it.  I couldn't work like that, so I was speaking up and it was constant harassment afterwards from 20 year old white female executives who happened to be my bosses.  There is nowhere to turn and it is one of the most painful things you can go thru.  Having other's work tossed on your desk to meet deadlines but your annual reviews were "does not meet standards" as the others who couldn't finish their work did.  Getting the lowest raises and bonuses.  Being pulled into weekly meetings to have your work reviewed even tho you are out performing your co workers and giving them answers to the questions young inexperienced managers didn't have.  Saving the company money but your manager lets someone outside the department get the credit in quarterly awards meetings.  

And this is just the mild stuff.  I have so much sympathy for the likes of Rowell and Brown because it's a misery many would not understand or ever have to experience.  

So while you believe this person sounds a bit nutty, she finally has an outlet and can release some of the pain.  

• Members

My sincerest apologies to you for what you went through.  That sounds awful.  I assume what SJB went through was awful as well.  She can release her truth and pain anyway she feels comfortable with.  I still stand by the statement that Twitter was probably not the most coherent way to tell her story.  It was hard to follow and SJB has always come off a reasonable and intelligent to me.  This twitter rant/release however you would like to phrase it just kept escalating to the point where I was having a very hard time understanding it.   Good for SJB for telling her story.  Her claims just seem to be escalating and it comes off a little nutty to me.

This does not mean I am making light of abuse, blackballing, violence, racism, etc. or even doubt all her claims.  I just think she personally is coming off odd.

• Members

Toward the end of the 90s, I wasn't watching all that much.  Between 96-99, I had basically taken one extended hiatus, seeing very few episodes of the show.  I was just too busy to watch and when I caught an episode it was usually one of the duller ones.

I watched  sporadically, on and off after late 99/2000 and then somewhat regularly between late 2001-2003 and probably summers during 2004-2006.  I tried to pick the show back up somewhere around 2008/2009 until early summer 2010 and then became really busy and didn't watch after that. 

I only saw the final episode on You Tube and was saddened by how stark everything appeared and how sad and drawn the expressions of the cast looked.

By no means as faithful a viewer as I once had been growing up in the 80s and early 90s.

• Members

I'm glad she's speaking out and she's been in touch with Farrow. 

It always did seem odd her stints on shows were so short. I always assumed it was her most of the time, just wanting to do different things, or I never could understand why someone so damn talented was constantly fired. But it all makes sense now, really.

This behavior in the industry has been going on literally *forever* (listening to Ellen Holly's talk of her time in the industry it's full of similar things). It's disgusting. I'm glad they're able to tell their truth now. So many talents shoved to the side, made to feel worthless, made to feel they were never getting the chance they deserved.

• Members

When anger that has been held inside for a long time is released, there is a good chance that it won't be pretty and it may make others uncomfortable but many times it may turn out to be completely necessary to do. I said something similar about Victoria Rowell's posts-- Twitter may feel like the sole means for some to find a way to release what has been held inside for too long. 

It feels accessible for many and because it is so public, these women (and a few men) may feel that there are others who will bear witness to their truth and how they are expressing it and somehow that is important to them that there are people to bear witness.  

I know I've had a few rants on this board and sometimes I think "wow, I went on a bit of a rant there" but sometimes the floodgates get opened and before you know it you're pouring your heart out, and I'm a pretty private person!   

Hopefully this will be a means for Sara to get some redress for the hurt that she suffered because it's pretty obvious that she's still hurting.

• Members

Julia Larabee was the nurse Jack fell for after suffering amnensia in 2004. Jack went off a bridge while taking a criminal to jail. She also had a brief fling with Holden after Jack went back to Carly, and was murdered in early 2005.

• Members

I remember her on VR Troopers too. I was a fan of hers right from the start and loved seeing her on GH. I still miss her as Carly. Having watched some clips of GL from when Laura Wright first joined, she's still playing Cassie, in all honesty.

Yeah, I don't think it was personal against her at DAYS, but she sounds disappointed (as she should be, she came on strong and was totally wasted then discarded). But then there's the Sony component. Steve Kent. Is he buddies with Moonves?

I still resent all of those firings. Maybe less Muldoon but I still felt bad he sort of got the David Tom reaction and treatment by fans.

I wanted Ron to dump a couple of people but I was happy he mostly came on and wrote for who was there instead of the usual "everyone from the last regime is fired" (though Lani and Eli remain woefully underdeveloped, even with a dead baby under their belts). EDIT: Though we're starting to lose people but it seems mostly the actors decisions. 

Archived