Sara Joy Brown on Les Moonves Hurting Her Career

• Members

I believe everything she said. It always seemed that her soap and TV roles were somehow sabotaged or cut short early. I don't believe SJB was that difficult a personality backstage -- by all accounts she was professional, on-time and prepared. But yes, it always seemed like TPTB were about ready to drop anvils on her after a few months.

She has retired from acting, I was sad to learn, because she truly was a talent. Hollywood is such a dirty place, run by powerful men who use Hollywood as their own personal pig trough/pleasure palace. They are determined to protect their 'entitlements' at any cost.

Yes, please can we move this to Discuss The Soaps? This thread runs in tandem with the Y&R harassment thread in BTS and is important. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyone who has been following the Hollywood Sexual Harassment/Assault thread in the Music & Movies section know that painting an actress as too "difficult to work with" is an often used tactic by abusive, powerful men to retaliate against talent who don't bow to their will. 

People have become more familiar with this because of the Harvey Weinstein cases and how he used this against actresses like Ashley Judd and Mira Sorvino (both women have stated that they believe their careers were disrupted because they rejected Weinstein's advances).

Lately, some actresses have accused Les Moonves of using the same retaliatory tactic.  

We know that Brown is far from the only actress connected with soaps to have suffered from retaliation meted out from a powerful network executive.  At least now, most people are listening and not trying to paint her as irrational.

• Members

Which is exactly the reason I mention it (I follow that thread regularly). It was implied as such when she left ATWT, but then all her ATWT co-stars piped up that she was lovely, professional and prepared. I always thought that was interesting that they went out of their way to do that. Days' cast praised her too. This campaign against her was all whispers and silence and road-blocks. Moonves went out of his way to kill her career, not just at CBS, but at all potential jobs. He networked with his buddies at other production companies or networks to have her blackballed.

BTW, having her ATWT character killed off by an abusive ex-husband called Les -- that is super cold and cruel, even for Goutman. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Maybe You-Know-Who gave SON a call... 

Image result for les moonves phone pics

While I was no longer a viewer in ATWT's later years, Goutman's 'reputation' preceded him. He was vile and abused his power as EP to run that show into the ground.

• Members

I know SJB from ATWT. During her short time on there she grew to be one of my favorite characters. Why? I think it was her acting. I just think she's a magnificent actress.

Awful to hear that that role, and other roles she pursued have been sabotaged.

• Members

Sadly, Goutman had plenty of help.

Even though I wasn't a faithful viewer of the show in it's last decade, somehow I managed to see at least most of the major storylines in that final decade. 

Oddly, I had stopped watching completely in the show's final six weeks or so.  It wasn't intentional, I was busy during that period and not in the position to watch or even record the show for that period of time and I wasn't at all upset about it.

When I'd heard the show had been canceled, ATWT was so unrecognizable as the soap that I had loved above all others, that I couldn't even muster the emotion to properly mourn its passing.  Just a sense of numbness and wistfulness for all those great storylines of the past.

• Members

It does, doesn't it?

Even worse, though, is HOW she was disposed of on several of these shows.  Not just on ATWT, but also on GH.  IIRC, wasn't Claudia, like, dismembered or something?  And she was bumped off on DAYS, too.  And even on B&B, it seemed like Brad Bell went completely out of his way -- even more than usual -- to make her character look so bad that she HAD to go.

• Members

Sarah didn't like the writing for Claudia on GH and when she spoke about it, the character was killed by Michael and buried by Jason.  

Days discarded her so ruthlessly.  Sarah found out on the internet that she was off of Days.  That was definitely related to Moonves. 

• Members

I'm proudly one of about two people who really liked Sarah's initial character and business/romance storyline on DAYS. It began at least with empowering women like Sami with careers again, and I liked SJB with Martsolf. It was also not the kind of more grounded or adult story DAYS was particularly interested in telling.

It looks like she's either lost a ton of weight or had a lot of work done in her recent pix, and frankly I wish she'd regain a little - it looks unhealthy. But I would welcome her back as Carly anyday. Wright and Braun did good work but she is still the one true Carly AFAIC.

• Members

I was the other person who liked that story on Days. 

It coincided with Countess Wilhemina cosmetics returning to the fore and a rivalry between that and Madison's (SJB) cosmetics firm. Kate was in charge of Countess Wilhemina so it was great (for me) to see two consummate actresses like Lauren Koslow and Sarah Brown go toe-to-toe. And IA that SJB and Martsolf had plenty of chemistry.

She looks good in her Twitter pics but I do think her face has been tweaked -- nose maybe slimmed down, lip and possibly cheek fillers. She has also slimmed down since her GH days as Carly (it was noticeable when she came back as Claudia -- another character I enjoyed a lot, but I know I was one of the few). She is a work-out buff (her arms are always defined), so there is that. But I also read an article where she talked about her coeliac disease -- an auto-immune disease characterised by gluten intolerance -- which she said used to make her face puff out during her Carly days. Anyway, she had to completely re-order her nutrition, and I am pretty sure cutting out all gluten contributed to her slimming down.

Archived