YR actress decides to go recurring...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't you dare try to justify phasing out the few African-American actors this show still employs to bring in another crop of non-Caucasian actors and act like it's a perfectly normal and just thing to do.

Don't. You. Dare.

• Members

God knows I'm not the biggest CK/Lily fan (or DG/Cane fan, or Bryton/Devon fan, or even KSJ/Neil fan), and like I said before, I don't necessarily mind phasing out their characters.  But I don't believe you need to be a fan of theirs to see what's going on here, and THAT is the part of this situation which I think reeks to the highest.

Y&R believes there's only room enough for one non-Caucasian family on the canvas, but what they're failing to realize (besides the fact that that kind of thinking is short-sighted and flagrantly racist) is this show's popularity was built largely on its African-American viewership.  Even Bill Bell himself knew as much, which is why the Neil/Drucilla/Nathan/Olivia/Malcolm contingent was front-burner for so long.  If they go through with their plans to phase out all these characters JUST to bring on some ready-made clan of Latinos/Hispanics, without even considering the possibility that, yes, the two could co-exist in the same world -- and that maybe, just maybe, it's the WHITE families who need some pruning and phasing out -- they will risk alienating African-American viewers, and they will pay dearly for it, too.

My God, Mal, isn't it enough that you killed off the one character who kept people talking about your otherwise crappy writing, took a sledgehammer to a family that's been active on the canvas since the Carter administration, and force-fed us J.T. Hellstrom and Nick Newman's turns to the dark side?  How much more [!@#$%^&*] damage are you going to do to this show?!

• Members

Same. It is fascinating to compare this process with other soaps that lumbered toward cancellation.  There are some common markers, yet there are a few signposts that are specific to how Y&R functions.

Also, I couldn't help but take a peek at social media and it was intriguing for me to see some of the reactions on social media.

Funny how fans of Lily/Cane were practically joyful at MiM's departure because they (erroneously) assumed it would mean more time for their faves but of course, many of us on this board had long ago discussed that fact that the Hilary character was giving "Lane" something to do.  It was obvious (to me anyway) that Mal did not like writing for this couple and part of me couldn't blame him for that.  Their fans are rigidly tied to the characters as a couple and didn't want to see them function apart, even if that meant better quality story and more screentime.  Their fans refused to see how dull and limited they were.

Now, fans of Lauren, Michael and Paul are asking if this means their faves will get more screen time.

Please register in order to view this content

Will these fans never learn?  If Mal wasn't writing for your fave before, I doubt they're going to get solid storylines now.  He and Anjelica McD are bringing a whole, entire family who they plan to focus on building. More on that later?

• Members

Yes to everything you said! TBH, Paul, Michael and Lauren need to go. They’ve had their day. The cast has lots of room to truly revamp in a logical way but they don’t care. If anything instead of a Latino family that’s unconnected they should have Keemo and a grand child for Jack since they already have a built in connection. And the Winters have long been overdue for a revamp not write off. Where is Mamie? Olivia? Supporting characters like Hilary they can interact with? And without Dru the family will always suffer. The popularity of that family at the whole hasn’t been important to the show since Victoria Rowell left. 

The Cane and Lily fans kill me though! Sally Sussman literally had them blowing up our screens in their own story and all people could do is complain. And it was a GOOD story! Even Daniel Goddard complaining when it was the best story he’d ever gotten and his first chance to truly be a leading man! They get what they deserve. People are still on Twitter in denial thinking she’s willingly going recurring to pursue a big orimetime career and thinking she’ll still be heavily featured. 

• Members

They both look too damn young to be the mother to teenagers. I'd write both those kids off for a few years and then bring them back at 16, completely ignoring the stuff they have them doing now.

VR is never coming back to Y&R even though her return, with proper writing, could save the show.

• Members

In order to bring back VR, Y&R would actually have to give a damn about the Winters and it seems as though they don't. 

Mal and Angelica McD have found what they consider to be a replacement family of color and it looks like they're prepared to roll with that.

It just seems as if they are now convinced that the ratings slides are inevitable so they are fulfilling their soap "bucket list". 

Like @Khan said earlier, an African American and a Latino family should be able to both exist in Genoa City (kind of like real life, we know the soaps detest anything like real life) but is there anyone on Y&R's writing staff capable of writing anything like real life?  Sure doesn't look like it.

Archived