What Are You Watching/Binging/Streaming Now?

applcin

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Over the holiday weekend, it was a mix of a limited series on Hulu, which I subscribed to for a few months, courtesy of a Black Friday promotion and PBS.

I was curious about the Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon edition of Feud about Joan Crawford vs. Bette Davis. It was okay. I expected to be constantly reminded that it was Susan Sarandon pretending to be Bette Davis and this only happened a few times. Lange was good at disappearing somewhat more successfully into the role but I think the series could have ended a few episodes earlier than it did. One article that I read criticized the series for only showing Crawford as an actress concerned with her fading looks, while showing Davis is more layered and concerned with the work of being a character actress and producer. I can see that, perhaps if they gave Crawford an additional layer, the final three episodes might not have felt like a bit of a slog.

This weekend I also started to catch up with my viewing of the PBS Frontline series. I still contend that Frontline is the best news series on television. It provides depth to news events in a way that no other news program does, including 60 Minutes.

I think I am almost finished with Mrs. America, I know I’m late, lol. Much better than the installment of the Feud limited series that I saw over the weekend, although I am curious as to why the Shirley Chisholm character seems to fade from view towards the end of the series.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been plowing through, of all shows, "Car 54, Where Are You?" I randomly watched the Christmas episode back during the holidays and was entertained enough to decide to watch the whole series (it's only 60 episodes). I really like the Nat Hiken brand of manly, chaotic, goofball humor, but then you have the hilarious Beatrice Pons. Plus, Fred Gwynne is surprisingly sexy in this. All in all, good classic sitcom fun, and it's nice to be able to still discover new "old" shows after all these years.

• Members

In the month of January I watched Nyad, Fellow Travelers, Julia on max both seasons, Rustin, Barbie. 

Re-watched the 1991 primetime reboot of Dark Shadows & it's weird but there are episodes missing. 

Also re-watched some of Happy Valley & some of Last Tango in Halifax. 

Also re-watched Everything Everywhere All At Once. 

Also re-watched The Long Kiss Goodnight. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been binging THE SOPRANOS Seasons 4-6. Halfway through the last season so far. Slightly disappointed with season 6 so far but hopefully Part 2 will pull it all together.

JUSTIFIED Season 4. Brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just watched the new King H/W spin-off of The Good Wife, Elspeth, loved it! Prior to that Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer. Also in February Fellow Travelers, Rustin, Nyad (twice), Julia, Barbie, re-watched the 1991 primetime reboot of Dark Shadows (Episode 6 & 8 are missing.) What I thought were the best I bolded. 

• Members

I'm binging "Little House On The Prairie"; starting season 3 now. I haven't seen most of them in decades and it's their 50th anniversary this year so as good a time as any. A lot of the cast and guest stars keep doing interviews on youtube so the behind-the-scenes info is pretty cool, too. And they do love putting out their memoirs, lol; they think Alison Arngrim's is particularly good.  Many of them have a lot of love for Michael Landon and Victor French. Not so much for Melissa Sue Anderson. Charlotte Stewart (Miss Beadle) was quite the free spirit; having been "buddies with benefits", as she called it, with guys like French and Jim Morrison. (Now I have a mental image of Miss Beadle with Mr. Edwards, lol.)
Anyway, it's been nice to revisit something familiar from childhood yet where I don't remember a lot of the episodes. Also, seeing how many of the old-time film stars they brought on as guests is cool, too. Melissa Gilbert compared it to being like The Love Boat, lol.