What Are You Watching/Binging/Streaming Now?

applcin

• Members

Enjoy! Little House was always an institution within my extended family growing up, so I decided to try it out for myself when I was maybe 11 or 12, and I've been an avid fan ever since. Season 4 is my absolute favorite - so many memorable episodes like The Wolves, Whisper Country, The Handyman, The High Cost of Being Right, Castoffs, My Ellen, and I'll Be Waving as You Drive Away.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ooooo taste!!! Pun unintended. Can't wait for Season 3 in June.

So...among fans there are 3 fave episodes from that season? Which one is yours?

Please register in order to view this content

• Members
Posted (edited)

I will have to give that question more thought since I have watched other things since then and it’s no longer as fresh in my mind lol. I know that many people will say that the Thanksgiving (or was it Christmas?) episode was among their favorite episodes but imo, personally, I thought it ran a bit too long, although I just know that Jamie Lee Curtis probably relished diving into such a messy flawed character.

I will say that I enjoyed the character arcs of each character and I really think the series is well cast, it was such a nice surprise to see Robert Townsend turn up. Another aspect that the writers do well is, they get you to care about these characters fairly quickly, even the ones who appear to be antagonistic at the outset. Many of the characters clash and can sometimes say awful things to each other, but they are never demonized because the writing shows where each character is coming from emotionally. It’s a lesson that I wish today’s remaining soap writers would learn and adopt because most tend to write overly broad characters-even the so-called “grey” characters are so broadly written as to appear more like caricatures. Here’s how you can write a character, even an antagonist, while maintaining viability. I appreciate how show builds situations that pull the characters into either conflict or rising to the occasion, and in a few instances, both.

One really memorable episode for me was when Marcus went to Norway to apprentice to a pastry chef. I thought the episode did well at showing how Marcus was bringing that sense of discipline and focus to build his craftsmanship and up his level of skill. With all of the happiness of his accomplishment, lurking in the background was the precarious state of his mother’s health, which added tension to the episode.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Hehe. I think you are the second person (me being the first) that think that episode ran a little long. While I love the episode (and I'm sure Jamie Lee did, too), I don't like how fans want to hype it as much as they do vs the true heir to the best IMHO the episode after it. Well, it dropped, I was just leaving my job in fine dining though I've been part of the industry for decades so that really and truly hit for me...like a lot of the fans who come from that background. But when people mention it online, there is always some fan that is quick to bring up the Jamie Lee Curtis episode with the quickness. And it's like DUDE, STFU and let the poster breathe. One liking another episode other than you does not take away from the episode you like. rme. But yeah, among the fanbase, those two and the one you picked with Marcus in Norway are the easy faves. So I'm happy you loved that one. 

And btw...the show has been renewed for Season 3 AND Season 4 which is being filmed back to back. Hopefully, Season 3 will be coming out at its usual time of June this year. 

I agree. I miss the days of writing gray characters. No propping. And there is definitely known of that on this show. Everyone get good moments. Everyone get bad moments. But you at least get to see and feel where they are coming from. The arcs have been great and I look forward to more. 

• Members

I’m watching a miniseries called Nolly starring Helena Bonham Carter as Noele “Nolly” Gordon, an actress who became a legendary soap star and a British television staple who, in the latter stages of her career was unceremoniously fired from the soap she starred in, Crossroads.