GH Recasts Jordan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Vinessa is a fine actress but relegated to just a black person on a soap.  All these soaps have to do is pretend these POC are white and they'd get the same stories as their counterparts.  Jordan is TJ's mother, but he's off contract as they gave Kiki his SL.  Why couldn't both be med students?  Why not more of Jordan and TJ? 

• Members

I clearly remember she had just graduated college when they cast her. Plus in the movie I saw her in from 3 years ago she came across as mid 20s

I was just pointing that out the other day with Y&R. Even Mishael herself was mixed with Indian. Hilary was biracial though. Lily, Neil, and Devon are all black people played by biracials.

• Members

Or -- and I know this goes without saying -- write the few they DO have with more purpose and definition.  Tokens are for Chuck E. Cheese's, not for television programs.

Then, you'd have people complaining that the characters aren't "Black enough."  (Or "Hispanic enough," or "Asian enough," and so on.)

• Members

This is true and this is something I’d accept in the 80s or 90s but not today. We shouldn’t be so hard up for representation that we’d accept anything. Primetime is showing that having a diverse behind the scenes staff can enrich the stories, but of course daytime is behind. I truly believe one of the main reasons people are drawn to Victoria Rowell is due to the input Bill Bell allowed her to have. That type of personalized experience being added into a story can do wonders. 

• Members

Exactly. I don't know one black person that doesn't have some racial make up other than black. Hence, average black person. I doubt most of those people would consider themselves mixed race either. I surely never saw Mishael purporting herself as a mixed race person. Which is why I asked why you referred to her as such. Are you assuming this because she's Trinidadian? Or did she say that? 

• Members

Seen her family where? On pictures she posted online? In person? Unlike CK and LS, I've just never heard or seen Mishael refer to herself as mixed race. She may  be, I just never got it from any picture I've seen of her parents either. 

Archived