General Hospital August 2018 Discussion

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Brad took the baby home and it died.  He ran into Nelle on the side of the road and they switched babies. No birth mother so far. Most of the adoption story was offscreen except when they made it about Julian never seeing the baby. Of course, he was the first to see it with Brad.

• Members

GH is a prime example of how NOT to tell a story. Events happening off-screen and concerning characters we never know or see...who GAF?

There is very little left today, of GH's essence or core. Laura is coming back, but how often will we see her? Scotty, Monica and Bobbie technically exist, but are not used prominently or well. Ditto some of the other longtime vets like Felicia and Mac.

Truth be told, at this point, cancellation would be like a mercy killing of a terminally-ill patient who had been on life support and suffering horribly for 20 years.

• Members

This sounds horrible, but I kinda agree.  We literally had post after post about Sonny/Jax/Carly/Brenda/Jason in the 90's earlier in thread and now I can't even be bothered to watch the show or even read about it.  I don't know half the cast most days. 

I mean, there might be hope.  Days is great right now, but I think they have more of their core history still intact.

They need some sort of reboot and I think maybe resting Sonny and Carly for awhile might be a way to do it.  And of course, get rid of all the dead weight characters. 

• Members

Days does have legacy characters remaining on canvas, and that still helps the show feel familiar, although all four remaining soaps need to prune their casts of all the dead wood.

How many of the characters appearing on GH this year are worthwhile, or part of the show's DNA, or...even INTERESTING?

Out of the whopping 76 (!!!) characters listed in the year-to-date summary, I, personally would keep 15 for sure, with the current actors remaining in the roles. I would keep an additional two characters, but recast them.

In other words, 17/76. That's A LOT of dead wood to axe! 

To be fair, there are a few other characters/actors about whom I am on the fence, and whom I may considering keeping on the series.

(JMHO, of course. I know other viewers will disagree about whom to axe and whom to keep.)

GENERAL HOSPITAL

Year-to-Date Episode Count

149 Episodes

1. Maurice Benard (Sonny Corinthos) - 99
2. Steve Burton (Jason Morgan) - 98
3. Laura Wright (Carly Corinthos) - 87

4. Kelly Monaco (Sam McCall) - 82

5. Billy Miller (Drew Cain) - 80

6. Wes Ramsey (Peter August) - 79

7. Finola Hughes (Anna Devane) - 73 (KEEP)

8. Chloe Lanier (Nelle Hayes) - 71

9. Chad Duell (Michael Corinthos) - 69
10. Michelle Stafford (Nina Clay) - 67
11. Nancy Lee Grahn (Alexis Davis) - 65 (KEEP)
12. Roger Howarth (Franco Baldwin) - 64
13. Rebecca Herbst (Elizabeth Webber) - 63 (KEEP)
14. Kirsten Storms (Maxie Jones) - 62 (RECAST)
15. Matt Cohen (Dr. Griffin Munro) - 61
16. Maura West (Ava Jerome) - 60
17. Michael Easton (Dr. Hamilton Finn) - 58

18. Vinessa Antoine (Jordan Ashford) - 56
19. William deVry (Julian Jerome) - 53
*James Patrick Stuart (Valentin Cassadine) - 53

21. Donnell Turner (Curtis Ashford) - 52
22. Tamara Braun (Dr. Kim Nero) - 51

*Emme Rylan (Lulu Spencer Falconeri) - 51 (RECAST)
24. Josh Swickard (Harrison Chase) - 47
*Dominic Zamprogna (Dante Falconeri) - 47
26. Hayley Erin (Kiki Jerome) - 46
27. Max Gail (Mike Corbin) - 43
28. Garren Lake Stitt (Oscar Nero) - 38
29. Eden McCoy (Josslyn Jacks) - 37

30. Kathleen Gati (Dr. Liesl Obrecht) - 34
*Jon Lindstrom (Dr. Kevin Collins) - 34 (KEEP)
32. Greg Evigan (Jim Harvey) - 26
33. Wally Kurth (Ned Quartermaine) - 24 (KEEP)
*Lisa LoCicero (Olivia Falconeri) - 24
35. Bradford Anderson (Damien Spinelli) - 20
*James DePaiva (Dr. David Bensch) - 20

*Tristan Rogers (Robert Scorpio) - 20 (KEEP)
38. Carolyn Hennesy (Diane Miller) - 19

*Jacklyn Zeman (Bobbie Spencer) - 19 (KEEP)

40. Parry Shen (Brad Cooper) - 18
*Vernee Watson (Stella Henry) - 18
42. Ryan Paevey (Nathan West) - 16

*Kin Shriner (Scott Baldwin) - 16 (KEEP)
44. Dioni Collins (Nurse Deanna) - 14
*Risa Dorken (Amy Driscoll) - 14
46. Lynn Herring (Lucy Coe) - 13 (KEEP)
47. Ryan Carnes (Dr. Lucas Jones) - 12 (KEEP)
*Anthony Montgomery (Dr. Andre Maddox) - 12
*Haley Pullos (Molly Lansing Davis) - 12

50. Kristina Wagner (Felicia Jones) - 11 (KEEP)
51. Sonya Eddy (Epiphany Johnson) - 9
*Tequan Richmond (TJ Ashford) - 9

53. Leslie Charleson (Dr. Monica Quartermaine) - 8 (KEEP)
*Anders Hove (Cesar Faison) - 8

*Kimberly McCullough (Robin Scorpio) - 8 (KEEP)
*Marc Anthony Samuel (Felix DuBois) - 8
*Ava & Grace Scarola (Avery Corinthos) - 8
58. Genie Francis (Laura Spencer) - 7 (KEEP)
*Patty McCormack (Dr. Monica Quartermaine) - 7   
60. T.K. Weaver (Danny Morgan) - 6

*Hudson West (Jake Webber) - 6

*John J. York (Mac Scorpio) - 6 (KEEP)
63. Derk Cheetwood (Max Giambetti) - 4
*Brooklyn Rae Silzer (Emma Drake) - 4
65. Molly Burnett (Maxie Jones) - 2
*Scarlett Fernandez (Charlotte Cassadine) - 2

*Cade McWatt (Cameron Webber) - 2

68. Drew Cheetwood (Milo Giambetti) - 1
*Bryan Craig (Morgan Corinthos) - 1
*Pressly James Crosby (Leo Falconeri) - 1  
*Michael Leone (Cameron Webber) - 1

*Lindze Letherman (Georgie Jones) - 1

*Jon Lindstrom (Kevin or Ryan) - 1
*Palmer & Poe Parker (Scout Cain) - 1

*Brytni Sarpy (Valerie Spencer) - 1

*Megan Ward (Connie Falconeri) - 1

• Members

Thanks to her fans, who literally hold the rest of the show hostage whenever TPTB even THINK about cutting her loose, GH is forced to keep that boring woman.

I don't know if I would keep even half of the actors/characters you've kept, vetsoapfan.

• Members

Well, Elizabeth is the only blood Hardy left on the show, so there were a few KEEP choices I made for such special reasons. Besides, I knew I had to preserve SOME of the cast. My choices were a combination of, "This character is good for the show," and "This character has historical significance that the majority of fans may care about."

In certain cases, I did not care WHAT any other viewers thought; I just wanted those characters purged as SOON as humanly possible. 

• Members

I have no problem with a lot of the characters.  They are used in boring, poorly plotted stories that all but ignore history and good use of veteran characters.

For me, it’s not even all the new characters.  I have seen some charm and possibilities in several.  But the glaring, obvious canvas problems are Stafford and Howarth.  They are given too much screen time and there have been many attempts to make them work with convoluted backstories and retcons.  I see potential in Tamara Braun’s character, Ava, and even Michael Easton’s current doctor.  But Stafford and Howarth have got to go.  And I like them.  But they stick out like sore thumbs.

Also- recast Lulu.  She needs to be played by a stronger actress.  I don’t hate the current one, but she’s not good enough for this character on this show.  I would also find a great Lucky, I think the show needs him.

Julian should go full power mad, spend a year building to war with Sonny and then get killed off again.  He is another waste of screen time.

And I would put Carly Schroeder on contract, and pair her with Michael as Serena.  I would also keep the spunk she used to have as a kid as part of the character.  Spunk, not lazy half baked vixen writing that objectifies everyone involved.

You circle these people with vets (they don’t all have to be driving story like they did, they just need to be involved).

It would be so easy to make what the show has now work.  But instead, we are forced to sit through boring nonsense and plots that move forward off screen.

Archived