Y&R July 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

The scenes between Hilary and Nate have just been too much in every respect.  She’s come on way too strong and too aggressive and she’s back to the Hilary that Devon (and everyone else) despises — while others stand there and barely say a word instead of telling her to STFU.

I get that Nate’s backstory has to be told. But this way??? Hilary’s pregnancy questions to Nate were ridiculous. “I have a rash right here.” UGH.

I also blame Mal for these interactions when he KNEW contract negotiations for MiM weren’t going well. Those scenes were written for an actress who is going nowhere — not for one who had a good chance of leaving.

The scenes between Hilary and Nate have just been too much in every respect.  She’s come on way too strong and too aggressive and she’s back to the Hilary that Devon (and everyone else) despises — while others stand there and barely say a word instead of telling her to STFU.

I get that Nate’s backstory has to be told. But this way??? Hilary’s pregnancy questions to Nate were ridiculous. “I have a rash right here.” UGH.

I also blame Mal for these interactions when he KNEW contract negotiations for MiM weren’t going well. Those scenes were written for an actress who is going nowhere — not for one who had a good chance of leaving.

SORRY about the mess above. 

My iPad went crazy, and I have no clue what caused this.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

that's it. I'm done with Hillary. gave her one last chance, and this horrible writing for her has destroyed the character. it just makes no sense. she takes one look at Nate and now has to have some of that, and when Devon finds out...rinse, lather, repeat. just horrible.

• Members

No way would Nate be gay. They would be too scared of supposed viewer backlash, even though DOOL, ATWT and GL all went there. They would then have to cast another gay character and there doesn't seem to be the budget for that.

And the writing would be horrendous...

I was thinking of the Nate/Hilary encounter and imagining a different scenario...

At GCAC  Nate and Hilary meet up( a drink order mix up or some similar bit of business brings them together) There is a bit of chemistry on both sides, (not Hilary coming on to him) but both play it cool. Hilary introduces herself and Nate then realizes who she is and his reaction she reads as him knowing her from TV. Nate then backs off a bit and quickly extricates himself from the encounter which she perceives as rudeness.

Then when they meet up at Neil's, she is taken aback and annoyed he didn't identify who he was, thus feelings of antagonism arise.

• Members

Your scenario for their initial meeting is much better, in every way.

i agree that there’s no way they’ll write Nate as gay. Mal couldn’t follow through with a lesbian storyline, and for the fraus watching YR, two gay guys would be even worse. This show never had the stomach to take any risks. Being #1 is a blessing and a curse.

• Members

Yeah, they definitely could have had them interact in a better way. They could have done the scenario you mentioned. Or maybe they even could have done a scenario where Hilary mistakes and treats Nate like he is a model at Hamilton-Winters. He could have showed up there, they bump into each other and she assumes he's a model.  He doesn't tell her who he really is and says he doesn't know about her or anything about her show. She could have been offended and told him he needs to be more than a "handsome face." And then tell him he needs to be more aware of the company he's working for and the people there.

Later, on she finds out who he really is when she sees him at Neil's. She confronts him (but not too harshly) about not revealing who he was earlier and they continue to have antagonistic feelings towards each other. I think either scenario would have been better than having Hilary act so desperate and OTT towards Nate. Because she can't stand that he's not showing any hint of being attracted to her. When she really shouldn't care too much because she's in love and pregnant by Devon. 

Archived