Y&R May 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

I remember her (vaguely), I guess I meant recognize.

Please register in order to view this content

I hate it when soaps name another character with the same name. Any time I hear the name Amy in regards to Y&R, I always think of Amy Lewis and Stephanie E. Williams.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I understand that this happens, on occasion but good Lord, this is ridiculous! 

Please register in order to view this content

I will say this about the Amy Lewis character (and Stephanie E. Williams), without her, it is unlikely we would've gotten Drucilla and Olivia.

Think about it...

Stephanie was a professional dancer/choreographer in real life and Bell added some of that element to Amy's character who had scenes doing actual bar work. Victoria Rowell, was also a professional dancer and this time her character Drucilla Barber pursues ballet as part of her character's evolution.

Stephanie E. Williams one of the few darker-skinned Black women in Y&R's history, was portrayed as refined, elegant and part of the middle class. Olivia Barber, the only other darker-skinned woman in recent memory was sophisticated, highly education, from a working class but elevated to white collar status as a doctor, although Olivia was much more uptight than Amy. 

I don't think this a coincidence. This happens very often with Black characters on soaps, where one character departs and the next seems to be some incarnation of a previous character.  We've seen a recent (somewhat clumsy) attempt with the Jordan character, etc.  I don't think it happens exclusively with Black characters but it happens an awful lot.

Seriously though, they doubled up on names way too often on this show.  

• Members

Tuned in today - I saw the Dina movie day and a little today.  The Jack is not an Abbott story is so silly.  We get to find out in a year or 2 that Victor used his psychic abilities to know Jack was having a test, where the test would be taken, and meddle with the results.  Maybe Jill slept with someone else and Billy isn't an Abbott.  Maybe Dina slept with the whole Country Club and Tracy isn't John's daughter either.  Voila, we have no Abbotts really.  Way to go Y&R!  Wonderful stuff!

• Members

Billy could've been Victor's but that was pretty much ruined by Bacteria. I always thought JW/EB worked well. At least that affair was believable - at the time. 

The really sad thing about this Aunt Jack not John's is that Ashley's secret was pretty well contained for 30 years (and not some retcon). It gets exposed in a poor way and then pretty much dropped until it became about Jabot and all about Aunty J. 

It hard to care about a 65 yo man getting all bundled up about a paternity issue - especially one who's been the subject of 'who's the daddy' more than once and mostly - depending on the writer - supported a sister through 30 years of it! 

• Members

Watching the Mother's Day episode and that moment where Dina remembered Traci was absolutely wonderful.

I loved Nikki listing off her murder victims, but I think I read that there was another one that she didn't list.

The Kyle and Nikki moment was nice, but something about the actor still lacks sincerity so I didn't really feel his pain though I liked the words.

Archived