Y&R April 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

I’ve watched soaps for decades, too, so we’re even there.

i just don’t have to love and root for a character to want him or her on my screen. Even when I don’t like Hilary, I still care enough about her to want her around. I would miss Hilary/MM if she were gone, so the actress is doing something right and the show isn’t writing Hilary so that we HATE her.

For a show that doesn’t “give a damn about the character,” they sure as hell write a lot for her. 

I just dont think Hilary needs the sympathy and anguish she gets here. 

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought we'd said why Hilary's on and agreed.  She's useful and they trust the actress. They don't have to care about hilary to recognize that and write for her. They only have to care about keeping their own job. 

Interesting that you say you don't have to love or like a character to want them around. I don't doubt that's true. But I don't think for a second that the show believes it. Every EP or writer's pet whom they want around gets writing that screams "love this character". So I'm going to conclude that viewers  liking/loving a character matters to them being kept around on the show. That they are doing the total opposite with Hilary tells me they don't care. 

As for being written to be hated, even the so called soap press and bloggers are saying that the show is doing just that. They have openly said it is off for Hilary alone as well as for her romance with Devon and written for people to dislike her and root against them. I realize my love for the character  might make  me see things through an unobjective lens. But for so many people to also say this, surely its something to it. At the very least, claims can't easily be dismissed. 

• Members

I'm seeing some dislike for Devon being expressed as well. Both characters are being written pretty poorly, IMO.

As for the 'rootable' quality, haven't soaps openly courted this formula since the 80s? Wasn't that most of the premise behind the supercouple idea?

I mean, Hilary's not even being written as a proper vixen right now.  

• Members

Devon is written so OOC to push this plot. Since when would Devon Hamilton mistreat any woman carrying his child to the point of walking past ignoring  her. Or insist she speak about their private matter in front of a woman he barely knows. 

The only people who dislike Devon atm are people who care about Hilary. Everyone else is rooting him on glorying in him "finally seeing her for what she is". Which you can't blame them because that's what the show has written them to want for the last 2.5 years. 

Anyone who witnessed the writing for SBu's Dylan knows that loving and rooting for a character matters. JFP would have nothing less for her boy. 

• Members

A) I'm not assuming anything. 

B. ) Like the person I responded to, I'm going by what I've seen

C) We were speaking in context to the current story and writing. I'm seeing people who love the character hating on him. Of course, people who just dislike Devon for whatever reasons they've developed in their head anyway aren't included. Much like those who despise Hilary's existence even when her writing is good aren't included. 

See my previous response. 

Archived