Y&R April 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hilary is there so the Winters have a punching bag and can be morally superior to someone. She was my favorite for a long time but the writing for her has killed that. MM is a talent, but even still she can’t save the awful writing they continuously throw at her.

• Members

Carbon copy of what they did with Mariah. Only difference this time is we know the show doesn't give a damn about Simone or her relationship with Devon. She's there to serve the story and give Devon and hilary a reason to fight and be kept apart. 

However, it's always odd how Hilary is written as the other woman and angst to Devon's non-existent romances trying to break them up. Why Hevon can't be the rootable couple with someone trying to break them up as beyond me. But that'd require writing Hilary as someone to root for and that's anathema to this show. 

This is what people mean when they say the show is dated. Writing still hasn't caught up to this decade. 

Hillary can easily be sent packing out of town and the show can continue to center Cane/Lane and cast after cast for Neil the way they did for years before Hilary showed up in town. 

With that said, Winters aren't the only folks punching Hilary. Abbots and Newmans get their licks in too. 

I see the shows writing for Hilary had been successful. They want fans to not care. How dare she be popular and outshine their golden girls?!

• Members

The ONLY time. If she happens to  encounter anyone else, she'd treated as a pariah. They get in a random punch just cause she dared breathe their air. Oh wait, add funny looking Kyle to that list now. And Mariah. I noticed they are more friends than not these days. 

I really liked Hilary and Shauna. That was the best writing Hilary has ever had. Thankfully, 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I just don’t agree that the show and the writers want fans to not care about Hillary. 

I agree with most most of you that the writing for Hillary is a mess, but I don’t think the writers hate her. I think they LOVE her and think MM can play ANYTHING. No matter what they give her, even when it’s eye-rolling stuff, she’s eminently watchable. MM brings it in every scene, no matter how ridiculous the writing is.

This is a character and an actress that the writers CARE about, hard as it is to believe.

• Members

I don't see the care. I've watched soaps almost 3 decades. I KNOW when soaps want me to love and root for a female character. It doesn't look like this. Even when the character was a [!@#$%^&*] stirring screw up or even vixen, I could always tell that I was supposed to feel for her and root for her. It never looked like this. Every story Hilary has had since the actress came back from  her maternity leave has felt very close to an exit story to me. It's all designed for fans to hate her and root for whoever else she's sharing screen time with. 

With that said, I do think that her writing  is mostly a creative choice based on need. I agree that tptb think Mishael can play anything. But they use her to spark stories around canvas for what they see as more important characters at the expense of Hilary's development and progression. At one point they had her in things that didn't even make sense because they needed someone to drive it. As I said earlier, they've now got Kyle to drive story for Abbots and Newmans hence Hilary isn't in their orbit as much anymore. While her writing is a creative decision, they only made it because they don't give a damn about the character. If they did, she wouldn't be used in that capacity. 

• Members

Sharon remembered having flashbacks of rough, violent sex she had while hiding away in Denver and hoped that nobody would ever find out.(Case walked on contract negotiations, thus Sharon was gone for like three months after the Victor kiss) Next thing you know, Cameron pops up into town and starts blackmailing Sharon about the "affair" and went he attempted to rape her she bludgeoned him with a champagne bottle and threw his body into a dumpster. Next thing you know Grace Turner of all people showed up in town looking for her beau Cameron. Aside from Sharon and Nikki in the sewers and Larry the Wart Man secretly helping Sharon out,  the story went downhill into absurdity from there. 

Archived