Taoboi

Y&R April 2018 Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, MichaelGL said:

I think some folks just have issue with Kyle being best friends with the man who's married to the woman who killed his mother (and being quite cordial with her). 

+1

14 hours ago, DeeeDee said:

And of course after everything Billy ends up back at Jabot in Aunt Jack's good graces.

While still in a love affair with Phyllis. I can't believe how the town as just accepted Billy and Phyllis after their deception. 

11 hours ago, Khan said:

Or...

Hilary learns she isn't REALLY pregnant ... meets a Black teenager (let's call her Brenda) who IS pregnant, but who has been kicked out of her home and can't afford to raise her baby on her own (the baby's daddy has flown the coop) ... hatches a scheme to PRETEND to be pregnant and then pass off Brenda's baby as hers and Devon's ... puts Brenda up in an apartment in nearby Racine, WI, gets her an OB/GYN, etc. ... has to keep Lily off her tail, because Lily is gradually putting the pieces together ... ultimately gets busted BIG time by Lily at her own baby shower ... and then has to deal with the irony of ironies, as Devon takes in Brenda and her newborn daughter, because Brenda reminds Devon of his mama, YoHarmony.

Wait for it...her name is Shauna. 

8 hours ago, DeeeDee said:

When did Amelia start whispering like Daniel Goddard?

First time I noticed it was circa late 2011/early 2012 when Billy had come back from Myanmar, I think. Vikki had a confrontation with him in a random hotel room. She was beating on his chest in anger yet her voice never rose above a whisper. :rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Isn’t some of the tension of the JT story gone with Reed not on the show? Maybe the door’s open for returns.

Well, at the very least, Reed's absence means he can't team up with Kyle in the big "Let's Scare Nikki to Death" plot.

39 minutes ago, ajsp35801 said:

Wait for it...her name is Shauna.

Actually, it's Drucilla. ;)

3 hours ago, MichaelGL said:

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not against older actors having stories on Y&R, it's just that for the past 10 years this show has a failed immensely in developing its legacy children. Y&R can't always depend on Victor versus Jack to drive story. IMO it should be Noah vs Kyle, with Victor and Jack mixing it up in the background. 

I agree with that. The vets being the supporting players

I agree that Kyle/Victor makes little sense. Not saying the motive right now is all that great but him being a schemer isn't a bad thing. He really wasn't much of a character when the last several actors played him. I agree the motive should be vengeance for his mother. Does he have anyone he confides in? That's such a problem with soaps anymore, no one talks to themselves or to anyone else so we're left guessing what someone's real motive is. I miss actually getting to KNOW a character.

I also get that Y&R lacks in the younger generation, I just don't recall many being fond of Reed or the actor, but we usually see the missed potential when an actor is leaving and they're actually being written for. It's a shame the younger generation is so terrible on a show with YOUNG in the name, that I agree with.

13 hours ago, KMan101 said:

Not being snarky here at all but I was meh to the actor who played Reed. I guess it's a missed opportunity but I never cared much either way. BYE.

And again, not being snarky, but what should Kyle be like? It's not like he was ever really developed very well. Not saying I want him to be Adam-lite but is that really a bad thing?

Wow — we pretty much agree on both of these LOL. 

The previous Kyles never made THAT strong an impression to make me question this version. He wasn’t developed all that much before, which was part of the problem. This show can use some Adam-lite.

This Reed actor was never going to become a teen heartthrob or bad boy. His best writing was when his character was introduced. Nothing since lived up to that.

10 hours ago, SteelCity said:

I will agree that the better story for Kyle would be vengeance for his mother. He should be in Arturo's place to seduce and destroy Nikki. Maybe slowly slipping her alcohol, or some soap opera drug that makes her want alcohol. Making her drunk when she attacked JT, then using this to show a pattern of drunken violence. 

Im personally tired of storylines where one character slips another character drugs or alcohol. Been done way too often.

1 hour ago, ranger1rg said:

This show can use some Adam-lite.

The problem is it writes a viable character into a corner. Hilary currently suffers from the same problem.

Modern soaps don't utilize multiple types of characters anymore. It's just single characters (usually one of each gender) being irredeemably evil while everyone else (who are usually guilty of similar crimes) is let off the hook.

1 hour ago, DeeeDee said:

The problem is it writes a viable character into a corner. Hilary currently suffers from the same problem.

Modern soaps don't utilize multiple types of characters anymore. It's just single characters (usually one of each gender) being irredeemably evil while everyone else (who are usually guilty of similar crimes) is let off the hook.

Hilary and Kyle are the exact same character. Only difference is one is a member of a core family while the other has absolutely no reason to exist at this point. 

55 minutes ago, DeeeDee said:

Reed looks like a butch lesbian.

I'm dead.

9 hours ago, DeeeDee said:

+1

11 hours ago, ranger1rg said:

Wow — we pretty much agree on both of these LOL. 

The previous Kyles never made THAT strong an impression to make me question this version. He wasn’t developed all that much before, which was part of the problem. This show can use some Adam-lite.

This Reed actor was never going to become a teen heartthrob or bad boy. His best writing was when his character was introduced. Nothing since lived up to that.

I agree his (Reed's) best writing was being a typical pain-in-the-ass teenager when he was first brought on. He got on my nerves but it seemed fairly realistic. Teens are pretty self-absorbed and self-involved. Not all of them, of course. But Claire on DAYS and Reed were fairly realistic for a soap. Too bad they both come off as annoying and one of them shrill.

My only issue is the Kyle/Victor alliance but it sort of makes sense because Victor mentored Kyle at one point when he pitted Kyle and Noah against each other at Newman, right? It's not TOTALLY out of left field, but I want a better motive explained. Why does Kyle hate Jack? Has that been explained?

46 minutes ago, ajsp35801 said:

Was there ever any doubt? 

Guess I was holding out hope for some reason.  It would have played better if they gave Hils a baby, but kept her as an independent woman, running GC Buzz and planning on co-parenting with Devon.  Simone gets jealous, has doubts about her future with Devon because of the pregnancy...

Why is an established character not being fleshed out but thrown under the bus for day player Simone?!?