DAYS: January 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, did anyone see all this boring coming from Ron Carlivati this soon if ever?

i had high hopes but thought the danger would be RC going off the rails. Instead we’re getting some of the most boring stuff ever. This is just stunningly lifeless soap, and I’m not enjoying it.

To say I expected better would be a MASSIVE understatement.

• Members

I agree on the urgency. I expected a bit more "oomph" from him, but I feel like he's being held back. JMO. Too much interference, which seems to be a massive problem with DAYS. Just let the man write!

July-November felt like Ron's Days of Our Lives. While not perfect I'd take it over what we're suffering through now. It's like Dena came back and is ghostwriting!

Not to mention the bubble feel of the show is back. We're back to people in their storyline bubbles. I about fell over getting Kayla and Eric in a scene together!

Why were Marlena and John not involved in Theo's shooting? I mentioned it before but it tied directly to their long time best friend Abe and their granddaughter Claire, dating Abe's son. (Although I suspect Ron's rotating the cast because of episode guarantees, but the guarantees remain horrible. No one should up and disappear)

Why are Eve and Jennifer not mixing it up because they're long-time rivals and dating brothers who now have the history of Brady forcing Nicole out of town. Why are these four not forced to mix it up? At NYE they were in the same room and nothing was acknowledged!

Little things like this matter. PLAY EVERY ANGLE! Add depth.

I don't need what feels like a week of Gabi and Eli and JJ and Lani having the same conversation. How about instead of telling us John and Marlena are babysitting Ari (or having off-screen Christmas Eve and New Years festivities) SHOW US!

It's like certain stories get flown through with beats missed and other stories get repetitive and feel like they're on every single day and drag the show down. It's bizarre.

And for a murder about to take place, the set up is trash. JMO.

• Members

I like the show but I don't love it.  It's like a soap that's depressed and needs medication.  Ron has the right idea but the scenes just need life.  The actors and those masquerading as actors are trying but the life is just not there. 

Nik Cassadine and the Dimeras are a fail for me.    

No Marlena is insane.  

The Lani/JJ/Eli/Gabi quad is my fave but its not going to be great because Ron is only invested in Gabi and JJ.  

• Members

I agree with ya. It's sad. I had higher hopes than this. With Ron and Sheri and a side of Quan, I really expected the show to be knocking it out of the park. While it wasn't perfect, July-November feel like a totally different show.

I want to love the soapy mess that is Eli/Lani/Gabi/JJ but the writing for them as characters has lacked it's hard to be invested or care. Eli and Lani are the one's having a kid and they aren't really invested in them. It's bizarre.

I'm not sure yet how I feel on Nikolas Cassadine on DAYS. Tyler looks more healthy so that's nice. I think he seems happy there. But we've been down this road before. EJ. Chad. ZZZZZ. I also think it was a mistake involving him with Chabby, though I understand it off the bat because of the DiMera thing. I do like the idea of Vivian and Stefano sharing a child I guess. I'm willing to forget Quinn ever existed.

I like the idea. I would have liked the idea if we weren't subjected to years of EJ.

Another thing is no one watching really cares about DiMera Enterprises. Kate and Andre aren't likeable as a couple (back in the day I wanted Kate and Tony, not this Tandre person). Chabby aren't interesting to me anymore. Everyone falling all over Gabi Chic is dumb. It's all just bad IMO.

Vivian's felt like a breath of fresh air though. I also appreciate them trying to add a bit of depth with her giving Stefan Lawrence's watch (I think it was a watch? or something) and her saying she's alienated everyone around her. I do wish we saw Ivan. Why is he never brought back with her? I don't get it. But again it's hard to invest because Louise had stopped taping by the time she finally started airing.

• Members

I haven't felt like there's been much interference. I think Ron played it safe the first few months because he was getting familiar with the show. I think he pretty much said so in one of his recent interviews.

Ron's material has aired for almost exactly six months. So far his strongest stuff, IMO, were the first two weeks of October. But now I need him to step it up. 

Archived