Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Members

I do think McGowan is unstable and needs to take a break, but I also think she's mostly telling the truth.

The stuff that comes off truly unhinged is her ranting about all her projects and scripts in development - that's not happening for her and smacks of delusion mixed with valid rage.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I need to rant. Some celebs are jumping on the "I hate Harvey Weinstein too!" bandwagon now for publicity purposes and it is starting to really grate.

Case in point: Kate Winslet, who after giving a self-important "I am shocked, shocked I tells ya" press release last week, has come back to inform the world of her incredible courage... when she 'purposely' left Harvey Weinstein's name out of her Oscar thank you speech for The Reader.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-kate-winslet-harvey-weinstein-20171014-story.html

Is this her idea of The Resistance? Does she want a medal for her bravery? Admittedly I have always disliked this woman's shtick. But I can't believe she wants plaudits for not kissing Pervey's gross, hairy ass that one time nobody remembers. 

• Members

And in somewhat more uplifting news... Carrie Fisher sent a Hollywood exec who tried to force himself on her screenwriter friend a cow tongue in a Tiffany box. She personally delivered the gift with a note that said 'If you ever touch my darling Heather or any other woman again, the next delivery will be something of yours in a much smaller box.'

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/17/carrie-fisher-gave-predatory-producer-cows-tongue-heather-robinson

Image result for carrie fisher gifs

• Members
20 hours ago, Vee said:

I do think McGowan is unstable and needs to take a break, but I also think she's mostly telling the truth.

The stuff that comes off truly unhinged is her ranting about all her projects and scripts in development - that's not happening for her and smacks of delusion mixed with valid rage.

Yeah, I don't want to play into searching for the "perfect" victim but it's clear to me that McGowan has...issues. Of course, that's often what predators look for.

• Members
6 hours ago, I Am A Swede said:

I'm a little bit afraid that all this is too focused on Harvey Weinstein, and that when all the initial outrage dies down the rest of the predators in Hollywood (and elsewhere) will remain in their positions of power and that things will go back to the way they were.

I read an article on Twitter and it was interesting and true.  It pretty much said that HW is vulnerable right now because he's not making the hits he once was, which is why it was easy for him to fall from grace.  This is decades old, but many have voices now.  Trust that if W was making some huge hits right now and keeping that money flowing, folks would still be taking pics telling us about his genius and wonderfulness while KNOWING he's trash!

As long as folks are making money, anything can be swept under the rug.  Corey Feldman has been talking about the predators for how long now?  Even Barbara Walters laid the burden of Hollywood and what these allegations would do at his feet.  

• Members

God:

• Members
15 hours ago, ChitHappens said:

I read an article on Twitter and it was interesting and true.  It pretty much said that HW is vulnerable right now because he's not making the hits he once was, which is why it was easy for him to fall from grace.  This is decades old, but many have voices now.  Trust that if W was making some huge hits right now and keeping that money flowing, folks would still be taking pics telling us about his genius and wonderfulness while KNOWING he's trash!

As long as folks are making money, anything can be swept under the rug.  Corey Feldman has been talking about the predators for how long now?  Even Barbara Walters laid the burden of Hollywood and what these allegations would do at his feet.  

Ugh! The moment when I truly hated that vicious old crust of skin and hairspray! I can't believe she guilted him in front of everybody, when he was putting his story out there. It was one of the grossest things I have ever seen done to a survivor of sexual abuse. He must have felt traumatised afterwards.

You've hit the nail on the head, money buys anything and everything, it launders everything, it sweeps everything under the rug. HW did what he did because he had power and $$$ rolling in. He felt he could buy all the women in Hollywood -- because what are they but glorified prostitutes/pieces of ass, right? When the bottom line became squeezed, that's when his power diminished. Have you noticed who all the bigwigs are now? The major players are Amazon, Silicon Valley, hedge-fund men with ties to Trump (that's who Bob Weinstein is selling TWC to), China... This is bigger than Hollywood. These are major players. They are nations, or institutions even bigger and more powerful than one single nation. Best believe that they will do anything to maintain the status quo and continue to silence those who speak out. Harvey Weinstein is the sacrificial lamb. The other head honchos have thrown him and Ron Price to the wolves, banking on this being the general public's pound of flesh. Then, in a few weeks, when all this has died down, when another horrendous shooting or the threat of nuclear Armageddon dominates the headlines, when people's disillusion hardens into apathy, things will return to 'normal' -- they hope.

I hope this is the beginning. Fling open all the doors and clean house. The magnitude of rape and sexual abuse people are going through continues to shock me. In particular, I hope Corey Feldman's abusers are named and shamed. We should be talking prison for people like this.

9 hours ago, dragonflies said:

Plus isn't Kate Winslet doing or did a Woody Allen Movie? I can't with some of these celebs either. Meryl Streep I'm looking at you

When she isn't reminding us every couple of months that she and Leo DiCaprio are still BFFs y'all (while he looks like he can't even remember her name. If it ain't got a pair of DD knockers and Victoria's Secret angel wings attached to it, it ain't worth remembering), yes, Kate Winslet is promoting a movie that she made with Woody Allen. She also did one with Roman Polanski.

Edited by Cat

• Members

When you look at who is making top Box Office gains these days, it's not these guys (the HWs of the world, I'm referring to)! 

Movies like Get Out and Hidden Figures, and Wonder Woman have all made bigger box office than Blade Runner.  

Recent studies have shown that movies with diverse casts are making more money at the Box Office now.

I think there is something to the theory that loss of money, leads to loss of power, and will make these guys more vulnerable to have their misdeeds exposed.

I also believe many women (and some men) are feeling more empowered to speak out, now that others have spoken up and the stigma is being chipped away.

The old Hollywood model of successful box office has been changing for years now and I don't see it going back. There has been a definite shift over the past few years, (within the studio system and the introduction of disrupters like Netflix) and most of it has to do with money.

Edited by DramatistDreamer