cct

Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

9 hours ago, JaneAusten said:

The best interview I have seen has been with Emma Thompson. It's about 10 minutes if you have time to watch it. She doesn't make excuses, doesn't justify anything. She said she wasn't aware of the harassment aspect but that it doesn't surprise her because he was always a bully and someone she never really wanted to work with and didn't much.

My love and admiration for this woman just keeps increasing.   :wub:

On 10/12/2017 at 9:59 AM, DramatistDreamer said:

Also a whole entire waste of space and time. I will never again make the mistake of responding to anything it ever posts.

Debating sensible people that you may have disagreements with, from time to time, is fine, pointless arguments with stupid trolls is quite another.

Exactly right.

While his behavior is indefensible and despicable, I disagree with the Academy expelling him:

1. There are plenty of other Academy members with VERY questionable behavior just as awful (if not worse) than Harvey Weinstein. Case in point, Roman Polanski, Mel Gibson and Bill Cosby.

2. This is a personal matter (yes, what he did is horrible and perhaps, criminal). Considering the only other person expelled from the Academy was a member who shared movie screeners.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:23 PM, ChitHappens said:

Did you guys see this?  I almost cried for this young woman.  

I feel sick after listening to this. I can't believe he was telling her I'm to old to fight with you? So despicable, she didn't want to and he wasn't having no for an answer. Sad part is that there are people who don't believe these women and there is proof.

Spoiler

11 hours ago, WTGH said:

While his behavior is indefensible and despicable, I disagree with the Academy expelling him:

1. There are plenty of other Academy members with VERY questionable behavior just as awful (if not worse) than Harvey Weinstein. Case in point, Roman Polanski, Mel Gibson and Bill Cosby.

2. This is a personal matter (yes, what he did is horrible and perhaps, criminal). Considering the only other person expelled from the Academy was a member who shared movie screeners.

They're going to use him as a scapegoat to cover the activities of others. They know people will get bored and move on to another story soon. 

Lysette Anthony (Hollyoaks, the 1991 Dark Shadows) says Harvey Weinstein raped her for years.

The great Sarah Polley talks Weinstein in a NYT op-ed. I remember her all the way back to PBS' Ramona and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen when I was little, then in Go, before she became a great director.

Kate Winslet unloads.

I was called to meet Harvey Weinstein at the Savoy Hotel when I was 17. I assumed it would be in a conference room which was very common.When I arrived ,reception told me to go to his room . He opened the door in his bathrobe . I was incredibly naive and young and it did not cross my mind that this older ,unattractive man would expect me to have any sexual interest in him .After declining alcohol and announcing that I had school in the morning I left ,uneasy but unscathed.A few years later he asked me if he had tried anything with me in that first meeting .I realized he couldn't remember if he had assaulted me or not .I had what I thought were boundaries - I said no to him professionally many times over the years-some of which ended up with him screaming at me calling me a [!@#$%^&*] and making threats, some of which made him laughingly tell people oh "Kate lives to say no to me ." It speaks to the status quo in this business that I was aware that standing up for myself and saying no to things,while it did allow me to feel uncompromised in myself,undoubtedly harmed my career and was never something I felt supported by anyone other than my family.I would like to applaud the women who have come forward , and to pledge that we can from this create a new paradigm where producers,managers,executives and assistants and everyone who has in the past shrugged and said " well, that's just Harvey /Mr X/insert name here " will realize that we in numbers can affect real change.For every moment like this there have been thousands where a vulnerable person has confided outrageous unprofessional behavior and found they have no recourse, due to an atmosphere of fear that it seems almost everyone has been living in .I had a male friend who, based on my experience,warned a young actress who said she was going to dinner with Harvey to be careful. He received a phone call the next day saying he would never work in another Miramax film ;the girl was already sleeping with Harvey and had told him that my friend had warned her off.Let's stop allowing our young women to be sexual cannon fodder,and let's remember that Harvey is an emblem of a system that is sick,and that we have work to do.

A post shared by Kate Beckinsale (@katebeckinsale) on

It just unnerves the hell out of me to read the extent of Harvey Weinstein's damage on so many women.  I mean, this [!@#$%^&*] is the reason why actors such as Marilyn Monroe and Judy Garland ended up as drugged-up emotional and physical wrecks.