Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's funny. ABC, The Daily Beast, and Reuters all played into the deflection, touting stories like "Kevin Spacey comes out in emotional tweet." Only after Twitter backlash did they change their headlines.

It just makes you realize how much celebrities and their PR minions could get away with before social media started keeping journalists honest.

• Members

It'll blow up. There will as many stories for him as there were for Weinstein and James Toback. Everyone wants to say that Weinstein was an open secret or whatever, but this one- both his behaviour and him being gay- was an even bigger one. 

Anyway, back when I worked at a television station, he invited one of my work colleagues to his hotel room for a "private party" and then, not three days later, he tried to pull the same thing on my brother's boyfriend when we ran into him at a club. He's gross and everybody and their mother has a story about him.

There's three or four other people in Hollywood that I know of who have to be sweating bullets right now.

• Members

Sorry, I'm not sure why this font is so large.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/news/kevin-spacey-allegations-sexual-harassment-apology-anthony-rapp-london-director-a8026986.html

As part of a discussion on sexual misconduct on Radio 4's Today, Victoria Featherstone, artistic director of the Royal Court Theatre, was asked whether she was aware of any stories about Spacey when he was working in London, as artistic director of the Old Vic. 

"I think that many people in the theatre and in the creative industries have been aware of many stories of many people over a lot of years, and Kevin Spacey would be one of the people that people have had concerns about, yes," she said. 

• Members

I know there are supposed to be a slew of stories from young men in the British theater community about Spacey, going back years. Again, his history of creeping on young guys - sometimes str8, often PAs or interns - goes back a long way in the gay world. There were stories about him wanting guys found for him in DC while filming HOC.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It was not until getting social media did I even start to hear vague insinuations about Spacey's sexual predilections (and others) because I've only started paying attention to anything besides the technical part of filmmaking.  Pretty cloistered, I know.

Having read that Buzzfeed article, I applaud Mr. Rapp for discussing his experience.  On a positive note, I haven't seen signs of victim shaming and blaming and I hope this marks an end to the criticizing of victims for when they decide to come forward.

Spacey's response reeks of the guise of superficial concern for the victim but smacks of mostly concern for his own career and professional legacy. That 'coming out' addendum was a move borne of cynicism.  From what I've seen though, it looks as though he's getting his comeuppance from the LGTBQ community.

As for HOC, I thought the series should have ended about two seasons ago, although I admit that last season was surprisingly entertaining.

I do think that the next season should be its last.  

It is only right that the final season begin with Francis Underwood in federal prison where the audience only hears of him but doesn't see him. At all. 

We see Claire Underwood attempt to hold on to power herself but as Frank's crimes are revealed one by one, it causes an insurmountable political crisis which ultimately causes Claire's fall from power in the end.

And that should be the end.

• Members

The Annabella Sciorra story is particularly horrible. She was raped in her own home, in her own bedroom. She still sleeps with a baseball bat by her bed. And Harvey Wankstain spent 5 days in sex rehab, is now 'cured' and back in Hollywood, making preparations to get back to producing and take down all the people who spoke against him! Why is he not being charged? Why is there no class-action lawsuit being brought against him? The only good thing about this is that it is triggering a domino effect in other industries and other parts of the world, where people are seizing the momentum and speaking out about their experiences with attempted rape and sexual coercion. I hope peole do not stop exposing these bullies, rapists and abusers, and their accomplices.

Edited by Cat

• Members

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Val Kilmer reveal years ago that his and Spacey's friendship broke apart after Spacey borrowed money from his mother and never paid her back?  Or was it the other way around (Kilmer borrowed the dough from Spacey's mom and never paid it back)?  Anyway, reading about this brought that incident to mind.

What pisses me off about this (aside from Spacey's deplorable behavior that evening) is that this will likely fuel the paranoia many homophobes have against gay men (namely, that they're all depraved individuals who think nothing of raping underaged boys).

• Members

My guess?  It'll blow up.  Others will come forward about Spacey.  And yes, I agree, "House of Cards" will fold.

You know, it wasn't enough for Spacey just to apologize for the incident.  No, the preening s.o.b. had to try for another Oscar-worthy performance and drop a bombshell that, frankly, wasn't a bombshell.  (If you are shocked that Kevin Spacey is gay, then congratulations for emerging from your coma.)  On the one hand, I GUESS I should applaud his coming out (even if, again, just about everyone knew already). But, OTOH, part of me feels that that is TOTALLY beside the point.  The fact that Kevin Spacey is out of the closet now does not and should not, in any way, mitigate what he did to Anthony Rapp and Lord knows who else.

Oh, well.  

I'm just proud of Rapp for finding the courage to talk about this incident after living with it for so long.

Edited by Khan

• Members

That's what troubled me too. The segue from "I was drunk! I don't remember. If I did do anything, I'm sorry. BTW, I'm gay! Hope that explains things." He is using the coming out story both as a way to distract from the allegation and also to suggest cause and effect.