Film Awards Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Don't see them going near either one. Tonight was another reminder of how little respect Marvel has in the industry anyway. 

I didn't watch, as I haven't in a number of years, and I'm glad I didn't after hearing of the terrible memoriam tribute. Between those, and the omissions of TCM's most recent tribute, these seem to be getting worse and worse.

The screenshot of Angela Bassett's face after she lost was heartbreaking. I have a lot of respect for Jamie Lee Curtis, but this must be one of the most blatant career Oscar wins ever.

• Members

The Russo's were producers on EEAAO (not hands on, but they lent whatever clout they had to its marketing), so the Daniels likely already have a reference/or in with Marvel/Disney if they ever needed one. 

Angela Bassett is someone that has always been better than the roles that were typically given to her. I never expected her to win for a Marvel movie, so I can't say I'm shocked. I know some folks on Twitter thought her reaction wasn't classy - but to me, she wasn't bitter that Jamie Lee won, she looked more devastated/sad to me and likely because she was last nominated 30 years ago and she knows great roles are not created for women of her age and color. She probably saw this as one of her last chances. I hope she beats the odds and, similar to Michelle Yeoh, is given a cracking script and project to break the mold with - she's more than capable of it. 

I won't begrudge Jamie Lee either. Career wins always happen, and she's had longevity in this industry and is generally well liked. 

• Members

I most remember Sarah Polley from "Slings and Arrows". So happy she won! (And Brendan Fraser, Michelle Yeoh, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Ke Huy Quan! Loved Quan's hug/reunion with Harrison Ford, too!)

A great Oscars night for the Gen X crowd!

Edited by Wendy

• Members

I was so happy for Sarah Polley. I like to refer to her as The Princess of Canada. If you haven't seen her documentary, Stories We Tell, about her parents and her identity, I highly encourage you to watch it as soon as you can. It's a fascinating, wonderful watch.

I thought it was a bit on the nose for Halle Berry to be replacing Will Smith, but it was more than made up for that she got to be there to give the Oscar to Michelle Yeoh. From one ground-breaking POC winner to another.

Seeing Brendan Fraser win was like a fever dream. With the movies I grew up watching him in, I would have never guessed. Not only did he have one of the best performances of the year. He's been honest about the trauma that made him take a pause from the industry, so seeing him have a comeback like this was revelatory. He's also one of those people that no one has a bad word to say about.

I love the legacy of Jamie Lee Curtis winning, mentioning her parents at the end, and the rare unpretentious happiness and amazement she felt having won, especially for someone that grew up in the business. However, in terms of performance, she was the last person of the nominees that should have won. Plus, she has been so annoying with her attitude towards the nepo-baby stuff.

As for the show as a whole. Jimmy was a safe choice. He was fine. However, after the last few crazy years I was happy the show felt like it was having a reset back to normalcy. Much needed. I have no idea if she would want to, but I'd love to see Julia-Louis Dreyfuss have a go as the host.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

Maybe they need to title it better?  Like, people who we'll miss, rather than In-Memoriam which is always going to miss somebody - also a lot of these folks are TV people who will be covered by the Emmy's

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by j swift

• Members

I remember hearing that, similarly to Grammys, there are a lot of factions in the Academy that demand parity in representation in the In Memoriam segment, which is limited due to time. Hence the number of publicists and executives who simply have no name recognition with the general public, which means a lot of famous people just won’t make the cut.

• Members

Calling it that would invite people to say - you don't miss the people you didn't put on your list?

If they can't make a proper tribute, just don't include one at all. They clearly just don't give a [!@#$%^&*], and haven't in a long time.