Y&R: May 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y&R seems to exist to turn it's characters into hypocrites. Especially when it benefits the EPs faves (Philly) to do so. 

But i don't think they'll have an affair. Lily will leave him over Juliet possible sex and the lies he's told since.  And instead of fighting for his marriage like he should and history and story dictates,  he will immediately turn to vikki and Lily to Jordan. She will have slept with him before the ink is dry. 

• Members

I think the reason why Hilary/Mariah is so tedious is that they would be so much better as friends/co-conspirators because of their backgrounds. They have a lot more in common. I think SSM is trying to turn Mariah into Cassie, but Mariah's backstory and experiences would give writers far more material, including the inevitable 'forgotten' baby.

• Members

The background plus it is not playing to CG strengths. She always seems to be trying too hard in those  rivalry scenes with MiM. She's much more natural when Mariah's just talking to someone or being supportive. 

• Members

Agreed. Her best scenes have been with SC, EB and JM - no surprise. I'm frankly surprised they have moved her pretty far away from all those people. JM and EB really seem to love scenes with her. Plus, CG can deliver digs and zingers well - but with Hilary it doesn't work. I don't think MM/CG like digging at each other. 

• Members

People disagreed with me when I said early on that I thought the GC Buzz story was a bad idea because it would force an unbalanced rivalry. The storylines that both Hillary and Mariah have since given my premise added weight.

With the GC Buzz set stories, one character was always going to have to be brought 'low' in order to be seen as an equal rival with the other and from what I'm seeing on screen and on this board's comments, it seems that Hillary was the one that had to be brought lower in order to bring Mariah up.  That doesn't make for a sustainably compelling rivalry or for good storytelling.

• Members

It really doesn't work. But I think Mal Young likes the rivalry between Mariah and Hilary. Thusly, I expect it to last until someone in the writers room suggest something else for CG....that something be a new romance with another guy. 

Hilary is definitely the heavy to boost Mariah up. Devon hasn't faired well either imo despite TPTB now deciding that since he's away from Hilary and with Mariah, he can finally be worthy of his inheritance and have drive and ambition. Mariah is just so inspiring. RME. 

• Members

I agree. I can't put my finger on why exactly. It might be looks. Unlike some people I think CG is very pretty, but she doesn't have the look of a typical actress, so Hillary comes off as way more sophisticated.  I guess TV has trained me well in some ways.

Please register in order to view this content

If this were a UK show it would be different, but US TV really stereotypes people according to looks. It's hard for me to see through a different lens. I think that's even more true for soaps than prime time even.

Archived