"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Members

I thought the opening episode was a little shaky. Most jokes didn't land and that conflict b/w Darlene and Dan was contrived. John Goodman is the Eric Braeden of primetime with that lack of eye contact and line readings.

Still too many characters for 20 or so minutes.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'll continue to watch due to a sense of completion and nostalgia, but I have to tell myself The Conners is truly its own entity because it always comes off so amateur, rigid, and all the tears are embarrassing and cringe. Jackie is just not a watchable character at all anymore. Plus, in this episode it seemed like John Goodman was really struggling to enunciate every line.

• Members

Thats why I would do a story where Andy does exist BUT because of how Jackie has become he has basically divorced himself from her

Also is Crystal still the Mom of Ed Jr and his sister in this universe?

• Members

Little Ed/Ed Jr. was on a few seasons back played by Noel Fisher from Shameless.

I had thought Lonnie appeared early on too but I may be wrong about that. I intend to finally catch up on the show; I know its progression has not been for everyone but I'm glad it's had a strong, long run.

Edited by Vee

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

So far this season has been lackluster. 

Tired of John Goodman staring off into space to read his lines. With so many characters Dan should have been moved too guest spots-having to find stories for him every week is dragging the show down.

Estelle Parsons is amazing at 96, but it was pretty obvious the majority of her scenes were taped separately and edited in. 

• 3 weeks later...