What character was a favorite of yours until the actor playing the role ruined it for you?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Dr. Althea Davis was ruined for me once Liz Hubbard left The Doctors in fall 1969 and was replaced by the late Virginia Vestoff. Not really because of Miss Vestoff (who was a beautiful and talented woman - and should really have been cast as a new character), but because then-HW Ira Avery changed Althea's personality so drastically and for the worse. Even when Liz Hubbard returned to the show a year later, the character never really recovered (at least, as of June 1973, where Retro TV is in the reruns now).

• Members

Love this thread! 

All My Children

Kendall: I loathed Alicia Minshew as Kendall Hart. Sarah Michelle Gellar's stamp on that role was indelible and has always stayed with me. When Alicia Minshew took over the role for the first year or two, I liked her. However, her Kendall dissolved into a mess of tears and never recovered. 

Bianca: My favorite Bianca was played by Gina Gallagher. Gina looked at Susan Lucci, had the same disposition, and was every bit Erica Kane's daughter. Eden Riegel always seemed a bit awkward to me in the role of Bianca and I never connected to her. I think Eden's a lovely actress, but she wasn't my favorite Bianca.

The Young and the Restless

Lily: Davetta Sherwood was Y&R's best Lily - hands down. Sherwood's Lily was very much Dru & Neil's daughter in ways Christel Khalil's Lily will never be. I found Davetta's Lily full of life and fire while Christel's Lily just...sits on the screen with very little impact.

Victoria: Heather Tom will always be Victoria Newman. Hands down.

One Life to Live

Dorian: I loved Elaine Princi as Dorian Lord. While I adored Robin Strasser portrayal, I always thought Elaine gave a bit more humanity to Dorian than Robin did in the later years.

• Members

Harley Cooper.  Loved her back in the day. She was such a great, well-written character.  Even loved early Harley and Gus. Then,  the writing got poor and the entire Cooper family became a bunch of sanctimonious,  whiney jerks. That led to Beth Elhers having more off camera shenanigans and acting like she couldn't be less interested in actually making the character palatable.  Of course,  that wasn't confined to Harley.  I'm pretty certain that Coop's death was the only time Justin Deas actually acted during the show's last 5 years. And the fact that Frank Cooper survived so many cast purges boggles my mind. 

Archived