What character was a favorite of yours until the actor playing the role ruined it for you?

• Members

I think the problem with MBE as Sierra was that she was working on a limited schedule (her choice) that prevented the writers from giving her any good material. 

I can't believe I forgot the worst re-casting debacle ever...Susan Batten replacing Allyson Rice Taylor as Conner. If that didn't ruin the character.....

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

oh, me too....suddenly, life has new meaning to mmmeeee.... sorry, I digress. Block sucked. Sucked big. Sucked hard. And while I agree it was hard imagining MBE in the jungle fighting revolutionaries, at least I could appreciate her talent and the class she brought to the role.

I might have been able to appreciate McCouch---in another role. He just wasn't Dusty.

• Members

Roman Brady, as played by Josh Taylor, hasn't been mentioned yet. I liked Wayne Northrop's Roman in the '80s, and even Drake Hogestyn's take (when he was Roman) didn't make me dislike the character, but Taylor has none of the characteristics or charisma of Roman. Another long ago one was MJ McKinnon on AW. Once Sally Spencer took over from Kathleen Layman, MJ became a much put-upon victim from what I saw. Again, an entirely different characterization. I like recasts when they maintain the character,  but so many are simply rewritten to fit the supposed "strengths" of the recast. Howarth as Paul on ATWT is the best example of that. 

• Members

Thank you! I saw the topic and that going to be not only my first post, but IMO the very definitive example. ART was perfect in that role. The recast was disastrous.

ATWT: Lindstrom as Craig - no way, no how.

Y&R: PB as Jack - hands down ruined the character and have hated Aunt Jack. TL made Jack a charming playboy, who also could be tough and ruthless - think about the stuff he pulled with Ashley. AH as Victoria (duh!); DS as Lily - she was completely one-note to me and her annoying "Baby" when she talked to Daniel; Clementine Ford as Mac - so wrong! 

GL: Blake - Sherry Stringfield made that role sexy, sensual and a force; EK - Stepford version pining for old man Ross. (Not unlike what GT has been given on Y&R with Aunt Jack).

• Members

I do agree thar Beth Chamberlain played so many different Beth's... i liked her best in her first stint.  She had an edge and was calm/sweet plus held her own opposite Sherry S's Blake.   The late 90s/early 2000s version was uncomfortable to watch...but I liked how she played Beth in the last year or so of the show where she was more like Beth of yesteryear.

Mindy Lewis played by KT and KS was awesome...fiesty, a little spoiled and willful.  When the 2 other actresses played her....it wasnt Mindy but someone posing as MMindy(and i was a fan of Barabra C from Y & R).

Oddly...I loved jennifer on days when Melissa Reeves played her till her abrupy departure.  Her replacement was ok..but didnt have the spark and fiestiness of Melissa.   Jennifer hasnt been the same since daniel Jonas...sadly...but I still see sparks of the old Jennifer.

Eve Donovan when Charlottw ross played her qas awesome...but Kassie D just wasnt Eve to me.

• Members

I agree with so many of the examples already listed, but for me, when AW replaced Jacquie Courtney with Susan Harney, it literally made me stop watching the show. Even more galling, as TPTB kept recasting the part of Alice Frame, the choices got worse. Linda Borgenson and (particularly) Wesley Pfenning...eeeek!

Replacing Denise Alexander with Bennye Gatteys, as Susan Martin on DAYS, was also hard to watch, as was replacing William Gray Espy with David Hasselhoff as Snapper on Y&R.

Archived