Y&R: New HW preview's her big plans for the show

• Members

Yes, I would be happy just to see a show where the characters act in character, and the dialogue is naturalistic. I realize this is pathetically little to hope for, or settle for, but with all the soaps being in the toilet nowadays, this is what fans have been reduced to: we will be thrilled if the scripts and plots are not heinously dreadful.

How I long for the days of Pat Falken Smith, Henry Slesar, Roy Winsor, Claire Labine, Harding Lemay, Agnes Nixon, William J. Bell, Irna Phillips, Rick Edelestien, Douglas Marland, Sam Hall & Gordon Russell, etc., who graced us with their excellent work for so many years. Even with the occasional clunker storylines, these great writers gave the audience wonderful material most of the time. I have said it before and I will say it again: soap fans were very spoiled in the 1950s, '60s, and '70s. We took great soaps for granted. Little did we know what would eventually happen to the medium.

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The thing is, Kay Alden's title is so vague so who really knows what her function is going to actually be? Kay went Fi-Core in 2007 writer's strike, so she's ineligible to win the Writers Guild awards now...so perhaps her role is a bit bigger? I don't see Kay Alden being there if her voice wasn't going to be heard.

• Members

I certainly hope that Kay does get to have a lot of say into the stories even if Sally is the one who comes up with them....maybe Kay's role will be incorporating things back into the show that worked like a good business story....not that Sally can't write those, but perhaps she will help guide Sally and Mal into the proper business structure for the stories to work....

• Members

Agreed. I don't know why she'd want to put herself in a position where she's ignored unless she was sure that wouldn't be the case. And considering both SSM and MY have both specifically mentioned Alden in their interviews, I do hope her function is more than just PR. 

• Members

So I was re-reading the article and I paid more attention to the fact that she's going to negate Lauren/Jill. I'm guessing it has to do with Jill's health crisis and Lauren suddenly isn't a match, etc. Yes it's messed with with Neil Fenmore, etc., but what would be the point? Jill will lose the little family she has on the show and be broke. I missed the paternity reveal, but didn't she get her money from Fenmore estate? As I recall Kay only left her with the house. I suppose, we'll also find out that the will leaving everything to Devon was superseded by a 'newly discovered' will that leaves Jill half and a small pittance to Devon to make him strive for something, which I completely agree.

• Members

I'm torn on Devon and the money. I feel like so many characters on Y&R are a lot less interesting because they are so filthy rich. I feel that way mostly about all of the Newman children and grandchildren. The biggest mistake, imo, was giving Victoria, Nick and Abby half a billion dollars. It makes it really hard for me to take their problems seriously because they could buy their way out of almost any situation, if this show was even a tiny bit realistic about the power that comes with that kind of money.

• Members

Watching Jill go from.being a manacurist to a business executive back in the 70s and early 80s was probably fascinating.  She worked hard..even schemed and married to be somebody.

Nina was kind of like that her first few years...but once she got her inheritance from.being a 'widow'...she lost that drive to be something...Same with Drucilla.

We need driven people fighting to be siluccessful.... in this day and age...the economy is not reliable anymore so if you want something...you have to fit for it..

• Members

^ I agree. At first Mariah came on the scene I thought, why isn't Sharon helping her more? Then I thought, for once the show is making a good decision by not making every character a trust fund baby.

Part of it is writing. The Newman kids could be a lot more interesting if they were fighting for power. As it is they are rich "kids" who are constantly leaving and coming back to Newman Enterprises.

I'd like to see Traci adopt a teenager. Someone with a drive for power.  I hate to say it, but one thing that has always been right about Victor is that he never forgot what it was to be a poor kid with nothing.

Archived