Y&R: New HW preview's her big plans for the show

• Members

Noah never had a chance because the show never let Victoria or Nick grow up. That suffocated any children in a younger group. Sharon never really had a family, aside from Doris and Cassie (and Cassie ended up being closer to Nick), and Sharon herself was poorly written for most of Noah's life, so I'm not sure it would have mattered. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cassie only became close to Nick after Sharon temporarily left.

Prior to that event (which fundamentally changed both characters & ultimately led to Cassie's death) Sharon was everything to Cassie.

I don't agree that Noah didn't have a chance because the show never let Victoria & Nick grow up because Noah's lack of development has nothing to do with Victoria. Now had you included Reed being conveniently ushered off canvas (to keep Victoria "young") then we'd be on the same page.

Y&R & Josh Morrow have spent the past decade & a half destroying Nicholas as a character. All because both parties refuse to admit Morrow can't carry the show. So subsequent regimes kept using Sharon Case's charisma to keep everyone in that family relevant.

• Members

I was just mentioning him as he was the topic, but really I meant all the Newman kids younger than Victoria and Nick (Adam was aged younger and older at various points so I don't know what his age is supposed to be). They were all stifled. I guess there's Summer, but I haven't watched much of her run. I know Abby has had some too but the little I saw was wretched and I don't know if it got any better after Rylan (the last I saw). 

• Members

Adam is supposed to be around the same age as Noah.

The character was SORASED to provide Nick with a rival but that was dropped because Engen & Muney outshined Morrow and Y&R was never going to let Nick lose.

I do agree the younger Newmans development was stifled but that's a problem for Y&R in general.

The Hastings/Barber/Winters, Abbott & Chancellor families have all been hamstrung by having most of their younger generations written out or killed off & after Ricky's death trying to find a Williams under 40 is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Meanwhile the Newmans keep breeding like rabbits. It reminds me of B&B circa 1995.

• Members

I thought Adam was soras'd and brought back cause JM was in contract negotiations and the show didn't know how that'd go. Similar to them bringing on Tucker/SM when EB was in his negotiations. 

I don't think the nick and Adam rivalry ended cause JM was outshined. It seemed to end because Victor vs Adam became more popular and the show decided to go with it and make Adam Victor's successor. Sally clearly doesn't agree with that move. Nick's top D again. 

• Members

Maybe if Morrow actually acted and not just yelled his lines and acted like an ape-man ... but he can't be a lead and he can't be what Sally wants Nick to be. Nick was never meant to take over for Victor. They even had Nikki say as much and pointed out that Victoria was the right successor, basically, but in her current form, that's also laughable. The problem is mediocre actors and less than good writing.

• Members

Extremely doubtful. That had already happened not even a year earlier, when Nick suddenly "died" in a plane crash because LML hadn't secured his return yet and had to hastily write him out. Unless there were more contract negotiations not even a year later, I think Adam's arrival was just because Griffith decided it was time.

You can say that again! JM has always been capable of decent moments... but he has been EXTREMELY lucky to have been surrounded for most of his good stories by actresses like SC, MTS, and HT (and, to a lesser degree, EB) who carried his ass. Especially Sharon Case. He owes her his entire career, which makes his desire for Nick to go more into Phyllis' orbit even stupider. Ah, well, no one ever accused actors of being clearheaded lol 

Archived