Y&R: New HW preview's her big plans for the show

• Members

The problem wasn't so much giving them the money. The problem was not giving them compelling stories to go with the money.

That story with Abby scoring that money with/for her & her sibs should've TOTALLY shifted the Newman social order.

Instead it was a 2 second plot point with no consequences.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep.

There were so many stories that should've fundamentally changed these characters over the past 13 years that were just dropped.

The thing was the stories didn't HAVE to be done & the characters could've gone on as they had been forever but once they characters were stretched out of shape (as they had been) there's no going back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Going back to this I agree. At times I've felt that being rich has hamstrung some of my favorite soap characters, but then I think of J.R. Ewing.  Money never stopped him from scheming or having something to strive for.  I do regret that Y&R gave every one of the Newman kids f*ck you money though. That wasn't necessary.

• Members

Exactly!

There are plenty of stories left to tell for the Newman kids but the problem is the writers being lazy and/or reverting to making characters WAY OOC to unnecessarily prop other characters and/or ships.

A perfect example is all the crap Sharon's been put through over the last decade to provide story for Nick, St. Giggly & The Newmans because the writers refuse to admit the two actors they expect to be canvas tentpoles cannot carry the show.

But back to the Newman kids:

During Heather's tenure Victoria was only married THREE times in a TWELVE year span (with one unfortunately deceased child) yet suddenly the ONLY stories for the character upon Heinle's arrival are baby rabies & constant marriages?

Nick used to HATE living in his father's shadow. So much that he repeatedly rejected his inheritance & was willing to uproot his entire family to prove himself. Now he's a serial cheating fratboy sex addict who has no problem sponging off his family's wealth.

Abby went from being a happy go lucky heiress who had more ideas than self control to a drippy forty year old walking bore.

But this is the same genre that believes OJ is the root of its ratings woes & advocates segregation for actors of color. In 2016.

• Members

Does anyone else get the sense that if Sharon had more family (just a few Collins kin, e.g.) that Noah could've been a more viable character? 

I've always had this sense that Noah would fit in more on Sharon's side of the family than the Newman's.  Even an occasional visit by some Collins relatives might have provided some material for Sharon and her children.

Y&R's excessive focus on the Rich and the Infamous seemed like a smart strategy during the "Greed is good" 1980s, when Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous was a hit show but after reality shows started achieving success in the mid-late 90s, I'm surprised Y&R didn't change their focus away from obsessing over wealthy people.

Archived