Dynasty: Discussion Thread

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

A lot of these shows, Riverdale for example, don't know what they want to be. They want the appeal of the source material that has a built in fanbase, but they want a teen show, but they want a mystery show ...

I'm mixed on this Dynasty update/remake. I'm open to it. I like the added diversity.

• Members

I don't really see how making the Colbys black stops them from carrying out the Colby vs Carrington feud.

I have to wonder if the new Alexis will play that big of a role on this show. Their focus is clearly on the younger characters -- focusing on a 50 y.o. woman (even if they take out a few years) is not the CW's thing. It looks like Cristal's main enemy is Fallon. I am even doubting if she'll ever be brought on in any permanent basis. I'm sure they won't resist for the publicity such an arrival would bring, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's a recurring character. 

Please share what you can when you do. I'm very curious. It sounds like you don't need any connection to the original to appreciate it, which was 90% trash anyway.

That's what I feared. The all-important casting of the female lead seemed, at the very least, rushed. It sounds like they thought she's worked at that network before, she'll do.

• Members

The point is that they're a bunch of WASPs.

Krystle being hispanic doesn't change that. Nor would Matthew Blaisdel being black change it. But the whole point of Dynasty was that this woman from a not favourable background marrying into these... WASPs. And of course Fallon hating her because Fallon has daddy issues.

• Members

That's the 80s DYNASTY. The Colbys were WASPs. Not anymore. Not in this version. Have you read the article(s) regarding the Jeff casting? Blake and Jeff are rivals. I doubt he wants Jeff around Fallon. In fact, as already revealed to us, Fallon may use Jeff as revenge against her father. Therefore, what I said -- that the Colbys being black doesn't hinder a feud -- stands.  

Does it alter the original structure and history? Sure. But I think it's pretty obvious this is an all-out remake.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

But sometimes it does matter.

Change Krystle's etnicity? Fine - she's supposed to be middle class marrying into a wealthy family.

Change Matthew Blaisdel (who doesn't seem to be in this reboot at all)? Fine - se above.

Change WASP-y Jeff Colby? Um... it does change A LOT. It also alters the whole Carringtons vs Colbys storyline. The Colby's were wealthier and more powerful than the Carringtons to start - hence why Blake pushed Fallon to marry Jeff.

I could go on and on and on, but I guess I'll have to wait to see the results.

• Members

Again: It's not 1983 anymore (nor should it be). Rich people are not exclusively white. The conception of a well-to-do upper crust family is not limited to the concept of the white WASP. And there is nothing wrong with a black family being more powerful than the Carringtons. America has changed, culture has changed, wealth has changed. We're not frozen in stasis based on the concepts of the ancient Spelling soap - I know they were super-popular in Europe as a glitzy fantasy vision of America, but it's not actually accurate.

I am not endorsing this reboot in any way as I don't care about Dynasty, but acting like changing the races of the characters over 30 years later is a bridge too far is silly to me.

Edited by Vee