Kay Alden back at Y&R

• Members

I'm hearing Anne Schoettle may come back. She's David Shaughnessy's wife.  She's been on staff before.  Not sure about Milstein.  Many of the old YR writers are either retired, dead or on B&B.  I can't see them firing most of the dialog writers to bring back Sandra Weintraub or Linda Freiwald.  Maybe bring back Trent Jones and/or Fred Johnson, but they've been off soaps for years.  Jim Houghton's obviously not coming back.  Sally may bring her good friend Thom Racina on board. MAB hired him then fired him after 13 weeks.  I'd love to see Michelle Val Jean (BB) reunited with Sally on YR.  I never thought Michelle's style was suitable to BB. She's more YR. She worked on Generations.  It may be that Slater and Esser get larger roles more breakdowns etc. 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's been long time since I posted here. But I've been mostly away from soaps.. with a here and there return (like for DAYS' 50th last year, however I didn't stick around long)..

However, with the news of Kay Alden returning, I am really tempted to return. I LOVED her tenure at Y&R. 

I know she's only a consultant now, but SSM is also a good writer, so Sally and Kay together might be really good. 

Although, current state of Y&R from what I have seen seems terrible. I hate the recasts (Victoria, Phyllis, Billy... even though I think all three actors are great, I just don't see them as their YR characters)... but I am thinking of giving it a go..

Do we know when Sally and Kay's tenure begins?

• Members

wow. This I so crazy. Dina was the first character I thought of when this news broke. Just like the return of JW, MA could shake things up in the Abbott household. Sadly, Aunt Jack never became a true patriarch for the family. Perhaps a contentious matriarch and some occasional  Abbott family meals would be entertaining. 

• Members

Rex Best and John Smith both of whom are senior citizens. Smith was head writer and exec producer when Alden there. In fact I think he was promoted over Alden before Latham came.  I doubt Best and Smith would leave BB.  Michael Minnis was also at YR but he's HW at Bold.  Eric Freiwald passed away.  Others were Josh McCaffrey, Jim Houghton, Lindra Schrieber (who was off and on again).  MAB phased out Sandra Weintraub, Linda Firewall and Linda Schrieber for Mandy Beal and Beth Milstein.  Latham fired Houghton and McCaffrey. 

• Members

So, who's responsible for the shifts at this show? Angelica McDaniel has been at CBS for few years and never cared to revisit anyone from the past, and Steve Kent at Sony has been there for over 20 years, so he's worked with both the Bell and post-Bell regimes - he bought JFP in, and never seemed to have any intention of revisiting the Bell era. 

The Bell's had their chance, but screwed it up by giving MAB power, and were rightfully silenced after that debacle.

Did Mal ask for people who had extensive history with the show? He's the only "new" person in this equation. Going back to his history on British soaps, well, when he oversaw EastEnders for the BBC at least, he did tend to hire EP's that had a substantial history with that show (Matthew Robinson, John Yorke, and Louise Berridge). 

Archived