Kay Alden back at Y&R

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See, I disagree with this. Sally is known for Generations which began with a black family so I would say that shows she values a diverse cast. Then Kay Alden always featured the black characters and didn't limit it to Neil, Dru and Malcolm. They had a strong supporting cast, Olivia had a storyline (at least until Jack Smith took over) and she integrated all the black characters into the cast well. I'd say this is their best chance at not only being featured, but being featured in actual storylines that don't feel like intended filler.

• Members

They need more than Susan Dansby on the writing staff to represent black experience.  Get Michelle Val Jean on the head writing team as an outline writer.  I re watched the first Generations episode and it was very good for a first show.  In hindsight they should have structured the stories a bit differently and some of the casting was too pollyanna goodie goodie with the black actors, but Sally is smart.  I'm excited for YR with Mal at the helm too.

• Members

Many have suggested Michelle Val Jean, but I doubt she wants to leave B&B and I wouldn't blame her. It's hard to break into that show, especially from ABC and she has survived and thrived on that show. There are other black writers they can look into. I wouldn't remove Michelle from B&B.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This is potentially great news for the revival and survival of Y&R, although I believe KA should be the actual headwriter and SSM the consultant. I've never been overly thrilled with SSM's work. I just hope TPTB allow Alden and Mal Young the freedom to revamp and repair the show as they see fit.

• Members

Kay Alden SPW interview from 96

A-O-KAY

Y&R co-head writer doesn't mind standing in Bill Bell's shadow.

Y&R and Bill Bell are virtually synonymous,so when the show is praised-or panned-his name is usually the only one mentioned. But there's another person who is very instrumental in telling the tales of Genoa City:Kay Alden.

Alden knows that she doesn't get much recognition,but “that rarely bothers me”,she says.”I'm working for a legend ,probably the greatest name ever in this genre. If you're privileged enough to have someone like that take you under his wing and teach you everything he knows,the other side of the coin is that you will be forever in that person's shadow. The fact is,in terms of where it matters,people know how closely I work with Bill. Bill's been very good about making sure people know that”.

Several years ago,for example,Bell gave Alden the job of co-head writer. when Alden explains her responsibilities,it's easy to see hoe valuable she is to the show. Her week begins with polishing the last one or two shows that had been plotted the previous Wednesday(five or six episodes are done from Monday to Wednesday).from her home in suburban Chicago,she then gets on the phone with the other main writers-Bell and Jerry Birn in LA and Trent Jones in NY;what she has prepared for the next two shows is their springboard. The four remain on the phone for the next two to four hours,putting together the next couple of shows. The notes are then typed up as an outline that goes to the shows five scriptwriters.

“I'm involved at every level”,Alden explains.”I outline some scenes from every single show and sometimes I make the choice to write those scenes rather than outline them”,because she wants them written in a certain way.”The final script comes back to me and I do some editing. Then it goes to the studio.”

The hours are gruelling.”You don't want to know!”,Alden says. “I am a person who happens to believe that if you're going to do this job,you'd be love it,because it is absolutely consuming. It is fair to say that I am at the computer a minimum of 12 hours;usually it's closer to 16 hours. Then I work at least part of every day on the weekends. It's basically a dreadful schedule,except I happen to love what I do”.

Forget about vacations. A perk of the job,though,is that Alden works at home,which she shares with her three children and husband Vern.”The children are very often in the office”,she says.(Sometimes they're even in the script! Conci,15,played Paul's daughter Heather Lynch,as well as Betsy Sanderson, Faren Connor's daughter. John,12,played Nicholas before Joshua Morrow aged the character dramatically. Noah,8,has not been on the show,yet) “The gift of being able to work from home is incredible. At Xmas(when Y&R goes on hiatus)we get away. To really get away and escape,I have not done that in a number of years. The advantage of that is not losing touch with where you are in your shows. A number of years ago I went to Europe. It was certainly before I had the position I have now. I left for 17 days and didn't think about Y&R for 17 days. Coming back and getting back in sync is a heck of a lot harder than if you'd at least retained your connection and had been editing scripts and stuff(on brief vacations).

Alden joined Y&R in 1974,a year after its debut. She met Bill Bell while she was attending graduate school at the University of Wisconsin in Madison(Sharon's hometown,by the way)and working on her Ph.D in the field of rhetoric and public address. Her topic was daytime television serials as mediators os social change. Alden started watching Y&R as part of her research,and became captivated with the show. She went to Chicago to interview Bill Bell.

“So,I had this great interview with Bill,”Alden explains,”and during it he casually asked.”What are you going to do when you finish your degree?”I said I always thought I would teach,but I had became enraptured with daytime TV and thought it would be wonderful to write for one of those shows. He gave me a very charming but very pat answer;It's a great field and we're always looking for young talent....”But by the end of the interview,he asked,'Well,why don't you think about writing for daytime,and if you're really serious I'll give you some outlines,and we'll see what we can do.Now,I'm telling you it's a million to one shot.'Obviously,I did follow up on that and he gave me a number of trial scripts over a period of time,and one day he called and said,'I have a job for you if you want it'.My immediate response was to drop the phone. He did not really hire me ,however,as a scriptwriter;more as a Girl Friday with the opportunity to write a script now and then.

Bell was writing out of Chicago at the time. Alden moved there and stayed with her parents.”I asked them if I could stay for a couple of weeks until I found a place. I ended up staying for 2 and ½ years”,she says,laughing.”So that's why I'm still in Chicago-that's where I started out and that's where Bill spent the vast majority of his career until...I guess it's been about 10 years since he left Chicago”.

Alden didn't move out to LA with bell because there was no need.”We're very much inside each other's head. We almost communicate in shorthand”,she says. Also, “by the time he left,I had two children. Bill always had strong feelings about raising children in the Midwest,as I do. He knew what my preference would be,and thus was extremely gracious and never put any pressure on me to leave.

Anyway,why would he want to mess with a good thing?

• Members

I love that MTS keeps praising Kay & Sally. God, I really really really want it (the return to classic Y&R) to be true, as much as possible.

Somebody asked how the first two days with Kay and Sally were:

And...

• Members

MTS has always been outspoken and she's only gotten more so as the years have gone by. I appreciate how honest she is with the fans when she isn't happy. 

I'm really happy she's happy. December cannot come soon enough. I can't wait to see Sally and Kay's names in the credits.

Archived