GH: October 2015 discussion thread

• Members

The notion that Guza told stories is farcical.   This is the guy who devoted years on end to Sonny, Carly and Jason on every day even when they had no story and GH regaled us with tales of Courtney discussing her shopping, or Ric and Alexis discussing Sonny for months on end or the Q ancestor who looked like Emily even though Emily was adopted. 

Ron Carlivati started out with solid stories.   The Vampire tale had a beginning, middle and a perfect end that  was well constructed.   The baby switch story with Heather was well done and I guess the whole thing got botched at the end when GH lost the OLTL characters.   Luke's  pulonium poisoning that morphed into Robin's return was well done and a really good story making use of a lot of classic GH characters.  Fluke started  out conceptually fine with there being two lukes, but that story lost its way when they dropped the Bill angle. 

He even managed to make Sonny moderately entertaining when for the first time ever we got an extended prison arc---that story alone was better than any Sonny story Guza ever told.     I will say what I always say:  some people like Guza and his pathetic crap writing and therefore they  see his worthless writing as being somehow more like GH than Ron.  The way I see it, Guza is the living definition of bad writing and no talent, and any writer who writes differently than he does is by definition better.   Ron wrote vampires and Guza didn't.   Therefore Ron was trying to be better.   This Shelly woman is writing Sonny and Jason:  therefore she aspires to write garbage.   Guza in 15 years never turned in one decent story.  Not one other than sweeps events that started strong but degenerated into he masturbating thinking of Jason.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With all due respect to everyone here, I still don't see the point of a "Guza vs. Ron" debate, especially when neither wrote actual stories, let alone ones that were any good (and that includes earliest Guza).  Both were equally terrible as HW, IMO, and The Ambiguously Smart Duo offer no chance at improvement.

• Members

I don't agree.  Guza wrote stories, and as repetitive as they were [a new enemy for Sonny but Sonny prevails], there was a beginning, middle and end.  Ron is an even planner and should never be near anything remotely related to writing a story.  But I do agree, water under the bridge.  

Jeanine P should do this to Nina,Morgan,Sonny and Franco as well. I've been watching ATWT from 2007 what a chore that is. Jeanine P's ATWT was so dull and lackluster it's only slightly better than GH and this is because the show had a talent cast even the young kids could act. Meg was so badly destroyed by Jeanine P.

• Members

First of all Mark Teschner is one of the best casting directors. He found Amber Tamblyn, JJ, Vanessa Marcil, Julie Berman and so many great finds. ATWT had a good casting director at the time I adored Jennifer Ferrin. Ferrin seems to be everywhere on primetime. Let's not diminish Marks talents and he does miss. Hayley Erin has improved but she hasn't been that great  I actually like Hayley but then Kristen. I couldn't get past seeing Kristen as Starr so Hayley at least let's me differentiate.

HI JONNYSBRO Tamblyn. Marcil, Berman were all wonderful additions to GH your going way back am talking about present day GH. Frank needs to hire an acting couch for there young folk. Hayley Erin is still god awful but a drunk Kiki makes me laugh. It seems to me that Frank is casting GH these days since Mark always found people with real acting talent like a young Amber Tamblyn who inherited her talent from her father Russ Tamblyn.

Archived