Fuller House

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I just don't find them as unpleasant as you do, or think it was just quite so rancorous. I think it's a lot of noise. John Stamos is a little extra, obviously (which is probably why his online feud with equally can't-let-it-go Ron Carlivati was so entertaining) but I don't think there was any malice with those people. Even though they created such a virulently saccharine show they've apparently all been thick as thieves together for decades.

I think it's one of those guilty pleasure and/or love-to-hate things; I know it is for me. I think a lot of people (at least in my age range) have a complicated relationship with the show that came on after the soaps and dominated the late afternoon-early evening block. I always hated FH and found it so lame. But I also always watched it and had real affection for some of the characters/actors (Jodie Sweetin, Lori Loughlin, Andrea Barber, Stamos, etc.), so there is something there and it is good to see them all again. Also I consider it karmic justice that D.J. Tanner's oldest boy on the show is clearly a gayby just from a few lines.

BMW, I didn't really watch much. I was aging out of those shows and I found Ben Savage a little obnoxious. I am glad they appear to be doing well and I know people a little younger than me who just love it, and it obviously is (and was back then) more interested in tackling real things than FH ever was. I bear it no ill will, I just think it's a totally different phenomenon. People know what FH is in all its oppressive sticky-sweet old-fashioned sit-comedy, I just think most critics don't want to admit they'll still watch it.

To me it coming back is a kind of balancing of the scales given the new frontiers television has gone to, both on streaming and cable and the experimentation we currently see on some of the networks. We get Fargo or Breaking Bad or American Crime, we get the new Twin Peaks, we get Black-ish or Carmichael or Fresh Off the Boat to revolutionize sitcoms - but we also get something that's purely and simply anti-art. It is only pop and nothing else. I think there's a healthy place for that sort of extreme. The problem was when there was only Miller-Boyett shows on the dial.

Edited by Vee