Fuller House

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Oh, I didn't mean to refer to those particular shows you listed. Like you said, there is some very good stuff out there, but there are also things that fail to hit the mark they're aiming for.

Technically, the actors playing Nick and Alex are only seven months younger than me, but I can't even bring myself to refer to the one as "Nicky" anymore bc it makes me feel like a creep.

• Members

This show could EASILY be on ABC, I wonder if Netflix and Warner Bros. would ever strike a deal with them. I mean, between The View name drop, the DWTS cast members and now JS on DWTS it's like corporate synergy.

Edited by Darn

• Members

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The pitch he made back then is bound to have been different than the one he made for a show 8 years later. Also, Netflix spent a sh!tton of money promoting the show, which a network may or may not have done. Additionally, what constitutes success in terms of numbers on Netflix might have been a complete flop in terms of networks numbers (we don't know, unfortunately, what kind of numbers Netflix brings in). 

• Members

Here it is:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/fuller-house-netflix-jeff-franklin-interview-1201715028/

“I started back in 2007 with this idea and I’ve been trying to get it set up, off and on — it took six or seven years for me to get this going,” Franklin admits, telling Variety that he sat in numerous unsuccessful pitch meetings for a “Full House” reboot.

“I knew that this kind of excitement was going to be there, but nobody else seemed to get it,” he continues. “I was pitching to networks that ‘Full House’ reruns were beating every night — we were airing 40 times a week and getting millions and millions of viewers. For some reason, a whole bunch of networks didn’t understand the hunger that was out there for this show. It was baffling me. Netflix finally stepped up, and that’s why it’s happening now. It could have happened seven years or eight years ago, but it didn’t.”

• Members

It was. For one thing, television hadn't come along nearly as far then - there would be no space for something as saccharine as FH to exist and thrive as a counterpoint to all the other great programming, both drama and comedy-wise. The big reason something like FH now seems so viable and even charming to me is because everything else on TV is no longer just like it. Miller-Boyett Productions no longer rules the world, quality (or attempts at quality) do. When we have stuff like Black-ish and Fresh off the Boat holding it down for situation comedy I feel a bit more permissive about something that is both quaint and somewhat retrograde as FH.

Another big reason: Jodie Sweetin, who's run away with the show like I always knew she could, was not clean at the time.

• Members

Netflix was the perfect fit, I just don't see this show being a hit on network TV in the current network TV climate.

But I guess we'll never know, the original Full House had its best ratings on Tuesday nights when it was the lead-in for Roseanne. The two shows, though family sitcoms, couldn't be more different and couldn't appeal more to different audiences (in the grand scheme) . 

• Members

Looking at ratings from TV By the Numbers...Full House does over a million viewers per airing on Nick at Nite. Pretty impressive for repeats.

I agree that Netflix is the perfect fit. I love that there's no commercials and we get longer episodes too. Plus they can do stuff on Netflix that they couldn't do on network tv.