The Oscars

Soapsuds

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The lack of diversity criticism seems a little unfair if we assume the voting isn't rigged and the nominees got the highest votes. What should the Oscars do in that situation? I also don't think the Oscars actively seek any audience since they are traditionally the second highest rated show of the year after the super bowl. I am seeing a spanish speaking guy win best director and accepting for best picture, does he count? It just doesn't seem like there is a monolithic "they" who controls who gets nominated but they can control who gets on the program.

• Members

I'd feel better if Keaton had won as well.

But seriously, from all that I've heard, it sounds like a phenomenal film, very much in the "magical realism" style of, say, a Marquez novel. So, okay, no "Selma" win, but no "American Sniper" win either.

• Members

Birdman is a very fine film, but it should've gone to Selma. Which it never would.

I wish David Oyelowo had been nominated and won, but if it wasn't him it should have been Michael Keaton. The Hawking biopic is deeply mediocre.

The Academy is aging up and out which is why they couldn't tolerate giving it to Boyhood. Too bad.

• Members

Wow, Vee, you and I agree -- and I haven't even seen "Birdman." I just wanted Keaton to win, because he is one of my faves.

Can you explain more why the Academy wouldn't want to honor "Boyhood"?

Someday, I'm going to win an Academy Award (if I'm lucky...and no one in the Academy realizes I'm Black) just so I can thank Julianne Moore and Doug Marland for being a HUGE inspiration for me.

That's what I thought he said.

Sean Penn is one of those who keeps me guessing all the time. I never know when he is being an ass or just joshing everyone.

• Members

Soooo happy for Julianne Moore!!!

I'm so glad many agree with my thoughts on American Sniper. It seems you aren't allowed to criticize the movie anywhere.

Carlivati called Birdman "crap" on Twitter. He wanted Boyhood. He's one to talk about "crap". Look in the mirror, you write crap. I haven't seen either film but I now want to see ALL of the nominated movies (except Sniper, saw it)

That was long, boring, lackluster, flat, uninteresting ... any other words to add? LOL All you needed to do was watch the end credits to see all the 'moments'.

Archived