The Oscars

Soapsuds

• Members

Ryan's always been somewhat overrated to me. I also think her looking down on 'where she came from' hasn't helped her endure in the industry. I mean, seriously, what on earth has she done in like forever? She's pretty much dropped off the face of the earth. I mean, she has every right to be critical of the writing for Betsy, who seemed ... dumb? LOL

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
You misread his tweet. He said he wanted the BOY who was in "Boyhood."

What I've learned from tonight's telecast:

1. NPH is about as funny as a dead baby in a microwave.

2. Blacks are people, too!

3. Dreams can come true even for people who love the soaps (YAY JULIANNE!); and

4. My new boyfriend, Graham Moore, loves me because I'm weird. (I think that's what he said, anyway.)

• Members

At a guess? Boyhood is a very long, somewhat naturalistic and experimental film from a filmmaker who often operates outside the mainstream of Hollywood. It is semi-plotless and does not follow a lot of formal structure. Birdman is also somewhat experimental and edgy but has a clearer throughline and a comeback narrative with Michael Keaton, and it gives the judges street cred while not being too 'dangerous' in the way they regard Selma, which, many have said anonymously, offended and upset them with the way its cast and crew treated the PR campaign, hence all its snubs. The Academy is often a very petty, vapid bunch. They like comeback stories (Michael Keaton) and stuff that makes them look liberal and edgy, but not too liberal - and they don't like stuff that tries to confront them, vs. their educating others.

A lot of Academy voters are older, white and old-fashioned - for example, their sensibilities were more in line to give the Oscar to Crash for its safe yet 'edgy' liberal apologia versus daring to touch Brokeback Mountain, which many of them felt was 'pretentious' and 'inappropriate.' Same thing with stuff like Selma or Boyhood, in different ways.

I think Birdman is a great film, but it is not better than Selma. It does, however, make the Academy look cooler for picking it, which is what they really care about.

The amazing thing is Ron Carlivati considers any soap that even vaguely resembles Boyhood to be boring.

• Members

All I keep hearing about is how racist the jokes were and how a number of the black actors and actresses were uncomfortable...it sounds like tone deaf Hollywood at its worst.

I will watch Julianne's speech and the memorium (?) but is there anything else worth seeing?

• Members

It is unfair and everyone knows that the Oscars is rigged to the "T". You have to campaign and play the game to win. It's a rarity [i.e. Mo'Nique] that someone's performance is outstanding that they can't deny it a win despite them not 'playing the game.'

Just because you're known to have a high telecast does not mean you don't seek to gain even more viewers. Networks have been clocking the power behind AA viewing power, a power that has always been there might I add, this past year. So they were actively seeking AA viewership; especially when nominations came out and 'Black Twitter' had a large outcry against the shutting out of Selma. Most of those posts consisted of people threatening to not watch the telecast. Don't think that the Academy and ABC didn't take notice.

So what did they do to fix the issue?

Clearly diversify the presenters, thus trying to show the viewers that they "care" for diversity when all know that's bulls**t. They even went as far as having ABC promote who the presenters were [most of them were black], asking "Are you going to be there?"

My answer is, hell no. I went to sleep and just woke up in time to see the only category I cared to see--Best Actress. And that's because of Julianne, who I adore.

Archived