Victoria Rowell to sue CBS

• Members

You can't forget that at the peak of her popularity, which was more than a decade ago, Daytime people were still not booking a lot of lead parts on primetime. She was talented enough to be on two popular shows at once, but this was before film actors started coming to television because the writing for women was better. People forget that the current environment for television is not how it has always been, no matter how talented the actress may be.

I do think she is not helping herself, but if this is what she needs to do based on her feelings and information she has collected, then what does my opinion matter?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never said it was hopeless. I said it was UNLIKELY.

PLENTY of minority writers, producers & directors currently in the industry would love platforms & funding for their projects but it never comes (while many of their white peers are never without jobs).

• Members

I like you DeeDee and many of your arguments, I agree with but when you ask for examples and I present them to you, I sense a moving of the goal post.

Where did I ever say it was PLENTIFUL? I NEVER used that word. I said it was difficult and there, of course, are not nearly enough minorities whose work is represented in these ranks. I used the online outlets as one example but cable could be added as well.

Again, it is not PLENTIFUL and I never nor would I have ever used that word (c'mon!) but there are people here and there taking the chance and striking on their own.

I don't mention cable because I don't subscribe but I hear Power and Survivor's Remorse are doing pretty well. Ava Duvernay is working on something. Steve McQueen has something in development with HBO and across the pond with BBC.

Victoria Rowell unlike many of the other Black soap actors you mentioned is different than most because she is known outside of daytime in films as well as TV and classical art. I happen to think she is more well known than most daytime actors (with some exceptions).

We're probably not going to agree on this, at all so I'm just going to leave it at that. Like I said, I wish VR well, whatever path she takes and I hope something good comes from her efforts.

• Members

Save your breath. Your argument is well thought out and valid, but you're arguing with someone who, in all honesty, would probably be upset if VR landed an opportunity as you suggested, as it would put a kink in their agenda of insisting that every last person under the sun is a racist troll.

(Not saying there isn't racial injustice throughout Hollywood - obviously, there is. However, some people would rather watch minorities suffer so that they can stomp their feet and call all people racist, than to admit that, in certain instances, an actor's behavior may be the root cause of their status in the unemployment line.)

• Members

If you do it's because YOU'RE moving them.

Just because there are increased outlets for media does NOT necessarily mean more opportunities for minorities.

You can't use a HANDFUL of success stories as proof that if THEY can do it anyone (especially if they've been in the industry long enough) can. That's a strawman argument meant to derail the discussion.

Tamara Tunie & Tonya Lee Williams (like Vicki) are known outside of Daytime, and have moved into production yet neither of them has experienced the success of an Ava DuVernay or a Steve McQueen (both of whom have produced or directed Oscar nominated/winning films in the past few years) so comparing them to struggling, less critically acclaimed producers & directors of color is apples & oranges.

Robert Townsend's been in the industry longer than any of them, has plenty "connections" & is a proven success and no studio is throwing money at him to produce anything on all of these "new media avenues".

• Members

She has become such a joke. Hey VR employers can fire people if they say something against their boss or job that is negative on facebook, so why would you be any different? Bosses can even ask for your FB password legally these days too.

I almost feel sorry for her, she went about this all the wrong way.

• Members

How does she even prove retaliation? There is no way of knowing why the show won't rehire her, even though it's fairly obvious that her comments haven't helped her get rehired. Quitting and then being critical of a previous employer can get you put on a "not eligible for rehire" list. It can also prevent you from getting hired other places, which is probably the case with her.

Archived