Victoria Rowell to sue CBS

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Except Brenda has never had half of Vicki's success.

And again if relevancy is so important than Tamara, Debbi & every other 50+ Black soap actress must be "irrelevant" because none of them are on huge hit shows.

Most of them are doing theater, producing projects for other actors or playing small supporting roles on cable shows.

• Members

Vicki's success is not going to mean sh*t once CBS & SONY tear her from limb to limb. She already has a huge albatross wrapped around her neck preventing her from possibly winning--she quit. They didn't fire her, she quit b/c they didn't wanna meet her demands--to diversify Y&R on and offscreen.

Again, I love Vicki and I hope she wins but this is going to be one steep mountain to climb and conquer. I hope she has all her eggs lined up in a basket b/c this might blow up in her face.

I just wish she'd use her success to build her own empire [no pun intended].

WHITE actors. I fixed that for you. wink.png

• Members

Everything you've said is hypothetical.

Vicki's previous successes (in every facet of the entertainment industry save directing & production) is FACT.

Also even with all the "negative" publicity since her exit from Y&R she's still worked (not as much as she might have liked but work is work) & "negative publicity" hasn't hurt any of the reality stars like KENYA & NeNe who have become actors (*in fact it helps to keeps them "RELEVANT" in between landing their next jobs).

And her absence from Y&R has been a good thing because she doesn't have viewers wishing brain tumors on their favorite characters to make sense of their actions (Sharon) or constantly hoping they get more story so they don't fade into "irrelevancy" (Jill).

Her absence also highlights how much (uncredited) quality work she did to keep her horribly treated soap family "relevant" & how very little Y&R (and Daytime as a whole) cares about diversity beyond avoiding bad publicity.

• Members

First of all, Nene and Kenya are not even on the same level as Vicki Rowell. Vicki is a renowned actress. Love Kenya and Nene works my nerves but neither of them can shine her shoes. This woman was doing daytime, primetime, and movies all throughout the 90s. Vicki is a household name to many Americans.

Plus, reality TV is a whole different beast from people who are real actors. You want bad publicity in reality TV b/c it keeps you relevant for the time being but not if acting is your real passion and career. No one wants to work with someone who is erratic and flaky at times. Furthermore, Nene or Kenya could never land pilots, TV spots, or movies like Victoria has because of their background.

And her absence makes the fans miss her but it's not a good thing for pocket, which I am sure are decreasing.

• Members

Nene has done television (two at one time) AND Broadway.

Even if she started on a reality show & can't really act she still qualifies as an actress.

Again if you're measuring success as relevancy from starring on a hit television show not many black actresses are in that group. Margaret Avery is a Oscar nominated, trained actress & she JUST scored another high profile job last year (playing the mother to a lead character) on a niche cable show.

Alfre Woodard is stuck playing a supporting role to Katherine Heigl (who has burned as many bridges as almost anyone in Hollywood & is STILL on a mainstream network television show).

Angela Bassett is a beautiful, Oscar nominated, Ivy league trained actress & she can only get the THIRD lead on a cable television series in between playing supporting roles in films like The Green Lantern.

However according to the trolls here they're irrelevant too because who watches State Of Affairs for Alfre Woodard or thinks of anyone other than Jessica Lange & Kathy Bates when they think of American Horror Story?

Sean Young who got herself blackballed from major Hollywood movies found herself on Y&R a few years ago & even drug addict Charlie Sheen may appear on Two & 1/2 Men before the series ends after burning through more bridges than anyone in Hollywood not named Heigl.

• Members

A flop. And she was barely on. She was playing herself. Nene has no range when it comes to acting.

Again, Nene has no range so she is not a renowned actress like Vicki. She played the same characters on Glee and The New Normal, and playing the wicked stepmother is not an even further stretch. When I see her playing something with range then I'll say otherwise.

And you naming a list of successful black actresses, Victoria's peers adds nothing to your argument IMO. None of them have been blackballed from Hollywood. Have they spoken out? Yes. But reasonably. Vicki's message started off good but it skidded of the cliff very quickly when she stayed on Twitter 24/7, 365 instead of rounding the troops up and taking the issue to different platforms. She's is extremely intelligent but too emotional at times.

And again, Sean Young is WHITE. White counterparts in Hollywood get away with murder and still have a comeback.

Why? Because Hollywood is ran by white people.

We're barely wanted there as it is, so a comeback for a black person is going to be extremely hard.

Vicki is going to have a hard time coming back. For daytime at least. I don't think her primetime or film career is dead but she needs to get up and hit the pavement. Her talents could be used on shows like HTGAWM, Scandal, Being Mary Jane, HAHN, or Empire. As aforementioned, she needs to utilize that energy and put it towards something positive--doing her OWN projects. It's time for 'black Hollywood' to start making our own ways and getting our own coins.

Archived