Victoria Rowell to sue CBS

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Issa is ONE Black actress who had SEVERAL opportunities for a show before she lucked into her current situation.

The reason THOSE opportunities failed is because tv execs wanted to take a show written BY a Black woman ABOUT a Black woman & make it a starring vehicle for a WHITE WOMAN (in 2015).

• Members

She's not interested in producing her own soap or selling a pilot and IMO she never was. I've felt for a long time that everything she was up to with soap-related projects was always about trying to get back on Y&R.

It's sad because she should be there, and they never properly acknowledged what she was worth to their audience. But this is not going to make it happen.

• Members

Again, who has more experience and a bigger network of people, Issa Rae or VR? I can't speak to how much VR has tried or how many opportunities but she's had a much longer career than Issa and I would assume a wider network of contacts.

DeeDee, I agree luck has much to do with opportunity but VR, I would assume would have greater opportunities than even Issa Rae, who started with a modest webseries on YT and got noticed from there.

There are not many examples of Black women getting their shows out there but VR is not most Black women. She has a very solid history in the Arts, not just film and TV. You mean to tell me, it's impossible to get even a pilot done and produced from someone of her level??

Unless, that's no longer where her focus is-- then that would make sense.

• Members

There are more outlets not necessarily more opportunities (especially ones which will allow actors to maintain their integrity).

Eddie Huang's been very vocal about his dissatisfaction with ABC's adaption of Fresh Off The Boat & his show is on a mainstream network,

• Members

I don't know what she hopes to accomplish with this lawsuit. If she's upset for not being allowed to come back on the show, this lawsuit won't help her get back on the show.

It seems like she has a wealth of good ideas, I don't get why she can't focus her passion onto creating her own empire like her mentor Bill Bell did? I read her first fictional novel, and she has a good handle on plot and pacing so creating her own production company to produce something would be a good thing for her. Plus, if she's successful at it.. she could help aspiring performers and writers/producers get a foot in the door.

• Members

There is a very different dynamic to ABC then Netflix or Amazon. The latitude that Netflix and Amazon gives their talent is a much wider berth than network. Eddie Huang has accepted the drawbacks to working on the networks, as he wanted F.O.B. to go on the biggest broadcast platform where it could be seen by the broadest audience. Otherwise he would've gone to cable or Netflix. He has by now accepted the tradeoffs (as well as that big fat check(s) he's received). But I understand that he wanted to go on record with his feelings.

With VR's situation, and F.O.B. approach is NOT what I'm suggesting. At all. F.O.B. is encompassing a whole community, which was why the people behind F.O.B chose a mainstream network. Daytime dramas and the behind the scenes, encompasses a much small niche. A show about it would never make network but it may well be suited to Hulu, Netflix or Amazon.

• Members

If it was easy to get a television show on the air (especially as a minority) EVERY actor in Hollywood would be doing it.

When Tim Stickney or Ellen Holly or James Reynolds speak out about the racism they've dealt with in Hollywood nobody condescendingly tells them to "make their own" (because the same people who are saying that NOW know it's not a realistic solution for most minority actors).

For every Tyler Perry & Shonda Rhimes there's a Robert Townsend & Yvette Lee Bowser.

• Members

Well, thank God for Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, right? I never said it would be easy, by the way. And not every actor can write, or produce or direct. I mention VR in the vein of producing because she is someone who has expressly stated her intent to write and produce.

Network is no longer the end all, be all. For a person with VR's talents and solid work history, there are other outlets but again, only if this is truly what she is focused on and right now, it seems that her fight is elsewhere.

• Members

How many writers or producers of color currently have Netflix or Amazon deals?

This particular pilot season MAY be SLIGHTLY different because of Shonda & Lee's success but it doesn't change that minorities are distinctly disadvantaged (even in the era of social media) when it comes to dealing with institutional racism.

In an era when studio execs have called hugely successful Kevin Hart a greedy whore & said minorities (including two time Oscar winner Denzel Washington) can't sell overseas are holding up the current success of a HANDFUL (at best) of minorities doesn't wash.

• Members

If you're talking deals, not many of any color have that but there are many indie filmmakers whose work is featured on Netflix. Filmmakers like Victoria Mahoney and before Selma, Ava Duvarney's work has been featured there.

Victoria has been in the business longer than either of them. And again. I'm talking about trying with a pilot. Amazon, since they also sell books and have probably sold her Rich and Ruthless novel could be a bitter fit. I wonder has she tried this route. It seems as if she put away her crowdfunding effort, which misfired as she should've gone the IndieGoGo route. Shemar Moore, who didn't have half as good an idea was succesful there.

Sorry, but as an artist myself, I refuse to believe all is hopeless. Difficult, always but impossible. Nah.

• Members

There are more and more of these projects being written and produced, and less being written and produced by Victoria Rowell. After the last few years I can only conclude that part of that is because she is not interested in them at all and they're all just stalking horses for trying to get back on Y&R. This latest move only cements that. She should be there, but now she never will be.

Archived