DAYS: Tomlin/Whitesell OUT! Higley/Griffith IN!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I feel bad for the actors and crew; they have worked hard to make the show watchable. I even credit Tomsell for turning around a show that was nearly ruined by Reilly and Higley over the years. Reilly ultimately destroyed the show with his insane conceit. His second stint was a long train wreck and NBC forced it on the show. Tomsell brought some measure of reality and character driven stories while doing some eye catching Reilley type stuff but they never went overboard. They lost the two biggest stars, lost creative steam and worked for three years under the duress of creating long stories at least a year before airing. That doesn't absolve them of clunkers. We don't know if Corday was responsible for the Sami part of the Ejami exit story i.e. having her go off to Hollywood. That plot point seemed to be wedged in very last minute and seemed not to have been the writers' plan. Having said that, I mostly blame the three executive producers who should have looked at the long term story arc starting at three months before Ejami left and insisted on a compelling story for the characters already on the canvas i.e. the Hope/Aiden plot should have kicked into high gear; he should have been connected to other folks on canvas and they should have been on four days a week for a while to fill the loss of the vets who just left the show. And that's the least they should have done; they should have ended Jordan's plot as well.

• Members

Higley's last stint in 2008 to 2011 had some interesting plots, just was marred by bad pacing and some out of character moments.

With that said, Griffith is known for character driven material.. just lacks the ideas to make interesting plots. Higley seems to have interesting ideas and lacks strength in character driven stuff. So perhaps they will balance each other out.

Plus, with Broderick as breakdown/associate head-writer... the pacing has been much better.. and we have some talented day to day script writers. So if the plotting is better, characters stay in character, and the pace is decent.. then this might not be so bad.

I guess since Y & R didnt want Griffith back, he got placed on DAYS.

• Members

This is my hope too. That they can balance each other out. It's the only hope I'm hanging onto right now with this awful news Higley is back.

But writers often bring in their own team of script writers and breakdown writer(s). I fear that we lose some of the good ones and get crap ones again. They truly do make the difference. Broderick, Salmons and the Culliton's (although they have turned out some clunkers but it's rare) are the best SW's (and Broderick is doing well with breakdown) and I'd be very disappointed to lose any of them. The other SW's could go, IMO. I wouldn't miss them but they aren't THAT terrible either. I can usually tell right off who the script might be from.

This. All of this. Great post.

• Members

I would hope the Cullitons stay, at least Richard. He turns out quality scripts. Haven't watched the show much in the last few years but hear Salmons turns out quality work, and Broderick's rep is really good.

I think this team could work out, provided Days doesn't piss me off again.

Archived