DAYS: Tomlin/Whitesell OUT! Higley/Griffith IN!

• Members

Yep. I agree with you. Safe in the worst way. It's lazy. We're trading two for, IMO, two of the same. Corday doesn't get it. And if this was a Sony move, they clearly don't get it, either.

I do see what you're saying in regards to MarDar. They were far from perfect. I really felt like their very first few months were good. Yes it went off the rails out of nowhere and some of the overall storylines were questionable, and pacing became terrible, which to me, means there was interference. And maybe it was all them and they just ... went off the rails. I can't remember the script writers there at the time, or the breakdown writer, but I think the script writers and Broderick, who we have now, aren't the problem and I worry losing that. I think if the writing room were tighter, things could have been better. Something was obviously missing during their last few months.

It's like Days is divided into fractions. You have Corday clueless, NBC forcing their own people and Sony forcing their own people. Too many cooks in the kitchen are absolutely killing this show.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That was my issue with MarDar. I was thrilled when they showed up, because Higley's Days was becoming some depressing, anonymous show about Chloe the hooker and a bunch of new characters with 'cool names' (Quinn, Dario, the reinvented and hideously unlikable Taylor). MarDar did a great job making it feel like Days again quickly, which I appreciated… but it went off the rails within weeks. They had GREAT ideas with zero execution. Maybe Jack's PTSD was sidelined, yeah, but they weren't telling a story with it to begin with. He was yapping about it with Jen and Marlena and Abigail, and then he wasn't. I don't believe for a second that they had any events to build out of that. It reminded me of fan fiction -- well-intended, clearly borne out of a love for the show, and flatly executed.

Same with that the John/embezzlement storyline. There was no story to it; there was no incident. Everyone ran around stressed out that John was being accused of something, and then it was resolved magically with a quick phone call to Stefano (I think -- it was something like that) because nothing had been built in that would've provided a satisfying resolution. Oh, and we got that (awesomely filmed, very exciting) shootout at the Pub, which was an excuse for Sami and EJ to bang and then Johnny was found under a damn table IN THE PUB days later, which made absolutely no sense.

Their whole tenure felt like that to me.

Which doesn't really relate to this latest switch, I guess, but hearing they were back would be even worse to me than Higley. And that's saying something.

• Members

Erika Slezak on Higley:

"Dena makes noises of, "Oh yes you are wonderful, this and that" and
then she writes nothing."

"She wants to write for her own characters and she wants to write
stories that she thinks are interesting but nobody else does."

"She doesn't write stories, she writes events. It's like one event -
let's have a bomb, let's have a plane crash - but there is no story."

"It's all out the window. But Dena doesn't care about the rich history
of the show, which is evident in what she writes."

• Members

Dena is a hack. She had one successful story over two tenures on Days, and zero on OLTL. The only choice worse than her is the man she is replacing.

Didn't she do the nighttime Hope crapfest?

About MarDar- the characters were on point. Everyone was suddenly in character. Austin was a mistake, not tying Madison onto the canvas better was a mistake. John (even though I'm not a fan) was the wrong character for that story and deserved a better one. Their stories were paced terribly, but it felt like Salem.

• Members

I can't see a decent reason for this unless their planning for cancellation. She's a cheap reliable way to wrap everything up. They know what to expect from her. The show will limp along until they can finally pull the plug. This isn't an investment in the show. It's just the final countdown.

Archived