Bruce Jenner Interview With Diane Sawyer

SoapDope

• Members

You're right. She looks like a corpse. I'm not sure if it's just photoshop, I think it's also a ton of make up but people are thrilled for her living her truth so they're overlooking all of that. It's interesting to me to see people compare her to Jessica Lange when Lange has allowed herself to age (fairly) naturally.

Frankly, all I see when I look at that picture is another Kardashian.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought Lange got some work done - her face hasn't seemed right to me in recent years. Either way, I do agree that there's a double standard. And if a non-white trans woman were on the cover I doubt they'd get the same reaction either, with the possible exception of LaverneCox.

• Members

Not so much obsessed but just [!@#$%^&*] tired of these people. I'm not going to suddenly like this unlikable (to me) person just because she's transitioned. My dislike of famewhores overwhelms my appreciation of her struggle.

• Members

She was mostly definitely a famous Olympian. However, when that fame started to wane, she hitched her wagon onto the Kardashian train wreck and has been a very willing participant the entire time. Famewhore.

• Members

I think you are correct about that, at 65 years old, most women would never be given a front cover like this and I think the whole beauty thing is more about the living of the truth more than actual beauty. It's great that she is living her truth, but I'm not really see the stunning beauty that others are seeing.

Honestly, I think that was partially the point. Even though Caitlyn was not spelled with a "K", she still chose a name that is basically the same phonetically. There is definitely an attention angle here.

• Members

I love that she is finally happy and living her truth, but then I think about the car accident she was involved in and the woman who was killed in it and all the attention makes me...uncomfortable.

I mean, yeah, she would have never tried to deliberately kill someone or anything, and I haven't kept up with the entire case, but that's the one part of her getting all this media attention that REALLY gives me pause. And frankly, it's a big one, too.

Archived