GH: January 2015 Discussion Thread

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sort of digging Jarly but I'm not sure I'm ready for them to bone yet. Honestly it should have happened New Years Eve. Heck, I was ready for Carly and Patrick to jump each other when they were in the Floating Rib getting trashed. Laura Wright looked fantastic yesterday. She looks very relaxed and happy IMO. I think the Franco story dragged her down and it shows now how it did, again, IMO.

And Becky Herbst really needs to eat a couple of cheeseburgers. Seriously she DOES look rail thin and not in a good way. Sorry. But Rick Hearst looked good ...

• Members

I think the actors, especially Ryan Carnes, have sold that relationship and its largely offscreen development. But when they do 95% of it offscreen it really, really burns. I would give a lot for just a handful of scenes with Bobbie and Julian clashing (although God, please, please fix Jackie Zeman's face in 2015), or Lucas talking to both of them about Tony. Lucas is one of Julian's only human touchstones beyond his aging metro/macho persona.

• Members

Carly was one of my main ride or die characters back in the best years, but only in the desiccated landscape of modern GH would she ever be considered likeable.

I think part of the reason some fans responded to Dick Long, beyond his sucking up to them, is that they may feel like he's something of theirs, something they found, rather than someone forced on them. I've noticed that even some of the biggest "Cartini" sycophant sites now have commenters who say things like Billy Miller is badly miscast and looks out of place. And there is little to no interest in other high-priced hires like Howarth and Stafford.

I wonder if McCouch is in shape. If Miller doesn't get rid of the perpetual bloat, Ron will not be a happy camper. We could be getting "Slarly" or "Sliz" or "Slam" in no time.

• Members

I think Billy Miller is doing fine with what he's given. He's being asked to play Jason as the anti-Jason and that's what he's doing. Also, the brainwashing stuff where he's this mostly silent, efficient thug is done reasonably subtly and well. He's not camp like Jacob Young's old story with Megan McTavish, but he's not an emotionless idiot like Burton was. There's a sense of menace in those scenes for me. I just don't see the guy phoning it in or trying to play the cad, and it's such a breath of fresh air for the Jason character that I'm good with it.

As for Michelle Stafford, I would love for the backlash to be big enough to take her out but it's not. There's way too much hype train still going for her online by the usual enablers. Anytime anyone plays crazy on this show they get at least another six to nine months of life. They're not going to begin to give up the ghost on her til fall IMO, and given how hard they are making a push to try and salvage Franco (with help from fans and commentators responding to it, because now RH gets to be "bad like Todd" again), that is a very, very hopeful estimate. I expect to still be dealing with her in a year.

• Members

Daytime is long over Staff and she only has a job because Craptini were stupid enough to believe she still has value and she's Frank's friends. Poorly conceived wretch played by a passive aggressive wretch = EPIC FAIL! However, she's here to stay. Too bad and it only makes me wish GH's life were shorter. Terrible of me to say but that's how I feel. The show should be an extra on The Walking Dead!

• Members

Miller's doing what he was paid to do (smirk, try and fail to suck in his gut in unflattering shirts, read his lines), but I'm not seeing the level of fan hype that was supposed to accompany him. That viewers instead ended up doing things like having Twitter protests for Throb Pulser or are continuing to degrade themselves for "Julexis" tells me he wasn't worth the high salary and he didn't bring any great buzz to the show.

I agree that Howarth and Stafford aren't going anywhere. I just meant that there is radio silence with them in fandom. It's especially true for Stafford. It's almost chilling, in some strange way. She went from dominating Y&R, not just the show, but the show's fandom, to being hugely irrelevant on GH, even with heavy airtime. I get flashbacks of Genie Francis' Y&R run.

• Members

The issue is that GH does not consider her hugely irrelevant - they still consider her a huge new star of the show. They are pushing her hard and will continue to do so, and they have a lot of help from the easily dazzled soap press and social media circles which are pushing that narrative. And while Nina's loathed by many, unfortunately they are building at least some fandom for her and Howarth together in the general, more casual or offline audience. I don't think Y&R was as committed to Genie.

We'll agree to disagree on Billy Miller, who I think is playing it pretty straight as a male lead. There is a hardcore of GH/mob/Burton fandom which will never accept him, but I don't care about them. They took the hit on recasting Jason just as OLTL did on Todd years ago, they had to cast someone and in both cases it paid off, at least for awhile. The issue is not the actor, it's the writing - but I don't think they've mucked up Miller's Jason yet.

Archived