The death of the American mall

DRW50

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If I'm honest with myself when I read your comment it seemed to be that it was clearly coming from a place of ignorance and racial bigotry. Not sure why you're pretending you meant it any other way and the fact that you IMMEDIATELY brought that up speaks volumes.

I''m still a newbie around here so I have no place to judge you but your past comments and your general reputation is very questionable at best.

And DRW50 please don't delete the thread. It's a very interesting subject and there are MANY reasons why this is happening. I know in my past city there were still 4 major malls and you could say that one of is in the midst of dying. One of them was anchored on a JC Penny and had been dead for years but has seen a complete turnaround and is now very busy.

It all depends on location IMO.

• Members
I JUST found that via a google search 10 minutes ago. Was sad to see one of the local malls I grew up with on there. Its since been demolished and turned into an outdoor shopping center. Was taken aback when I saw that for the first time during Christmas break

• Members

Your need to blame everything on gangs and race is frankly bizarre. Not everyone is as small minded as you and thinks that once "thugs" and "rap culture" (as you say) start frequenting some place that its automatically a horrible place to go and destined to be ruined. If you looked at the bigger picture, you'd see that most of the problems are a result of the recession in America and online shopping becoming more prevelant as opposed to whatever racist tripe you're trying to spread.

• Members

It's not ALL of it... but it's a big factor. Yes, online retail plays a factor. The proliferation of big box stores also plays a part. One of the most exclusive outdoor shopping malls is having trouble with this, it started 3 years ago, and is still a problem:

And I dind't blame anything on race at all. OTHER people assumed I did. I blame it on crime. period. And rap culture does not equal black, unless you consider Eminem black. Rap cultrue is based on violence and misogyny, and you think anywhere where that element resides would be sunshine and lollipops? OK.... queen of denial, party of one.

• Members

How did we go from malls to rap being the cause of their deaths? I mean it's apparent that malls are dying because shopping is easily accessible from your own living room. You don't even have to go out to shop anymore. I just don't see how 'thugs' and 'hip hop' came into this topic. It's like going from A to Z. Chile....

tumblr_mvwfh4bzk71qg5ea1o1_400.gif

Archived