The death of the American mall

DRW50

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would say the real reason they are dying is the internet. People shop differently now and young people have learned how to shop through the internet. High end malls can survive because they offer more than just shopping; The Grove is West Hollywood is more a night out than a shopping experience. Just think about it. Christmas 1984 and you have to get a ton of gifts, so off to the mall you go. Christmas 2014? Amazon.com, Bestbuy.com and the like.

• Members

The internet does play a part, but many of these were dying in 1995-2000 time period, before the net really took hold that much. Some might be teenagers playing video games and other BS for recreation instead of going to the mall with their friends. I'd go as a teenager, and buy something every time. Especially at the record store. Some of these building being torn down are in REALLY great shape... the ones that aren't I always wondered why they just weren't turned into doctor's offices. Individual partitions in a larger building like that, I'd think it would work well.

• Members

The mall I work in is still very much alive, it's got three anchor stores (with Macy's occupying two buildings), plus it went through a huge remodel a few ago. It helps that the city has a vested interest in the mall, it's a big source of revenue. Most of the malls that are dying are in the Midwest, and that area has been decaying overall for years, ever since industry closed down.

He's nothing but a racist, it's so pathetic how he's always bringing up race.

• Members
you've already shown your ass many a time when it comes to this so don't feel the need to try and hide behind some hidden pretense. Everyone knows that you equate "rap culture" to "black culture". You've said as much numerous times in several threads. I wasn't even sure if you were serious or just trolling but your response to ReddFoxx makes it more apparent that it's the former

Archived