Was it neccasary to even showcase the OJ trials?

allmc2008

• Members

Was there truly a purpose to show the trials on a daily basis? Could have they just had an occasional news break during commercial to keep us informed? They could have kept it on CNN considering that is why CNN was created.

I am not talking about this in regards to the effect it had on daytime.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No. It wasn't like Watergate or the Iran-Contra affair. Whether or not an ex-NFL star had murdered his ex-wife and her acquaintance had no impact whatsoever on national security or our systems of government.

On the other hand, after the media circus which had surrounded Rodney King, the LAPD and the subsequent L.A. riots only three years earlier, I guess something was bound to come along and top it.

• Members

Well there was a demand for it. I forgot how huge this trial was. It was like the George Zimmerman trial times 1 million. I read last night the OJ trial generated over $1 billion in merchandise sales and ad revenue. People wanted to watch it so networks showed it for ratings.

• Members

There was a purpose because there was a demand. People watched. Before OJ there was the Menendez trial and and people were glued to that too (but that was limited to cable). Televised trials were something new then and OJ was a celebrity, of course people would watch--OJ Simpson was on trial for murder. OJ had a high level of fame being first a sports star and then switched over to being a working actor.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm sorry, but I've never bought into the notion that the OJ trial was this mean old soap-killer. (If anything, that was a scapegoat for the real issue of shitty writing sinking once-great shows, but TIIC and their ass-kissing shills will never cop to that.) Having eaten both up with a spoon back in the day, I never once felt the need to sacrifice one over the other.

Archived