Primetime Emmy Thread

EricMontreal22

• Members

OK, I posted this in the Thrones thread, but it probably should have its own thread. The categories confound me, as usual...

Quartermainefan said:

"And then there is Diana Rigg. She;s great and he has always been great, but just because she is the most famous actor on the show doesn't mean she deserves an emmy more than the woman who plays Cat but who nobody knows what her name is, or the woman who plays the Red Witch or whoever. What did she do that was better than what the girl who plays Arya did?"

Exactly. It's just like Maggie Smith in Downton--yes she's a brilliant actress and it's a great role and a highlight of the show--but did she actually do any heavy acting this year for the nomination? I'm not sure. ANd what's with the guest actor noiminations--how is Robert Morse in Mad Men a guest actor??

I'm glad Game of Thrones is up for best drama--but the Emmys HATE anything that has even a tinge of fantasy or sci fi genre to it--if it hadn't gotten such viewer and media attention this year, they would have ignored it again.

(and how the hell is Sarah Paulson a *supporting* actress in American Horror Story)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Emmys have felt irrelevant for years now. It's all about attempts to seem hip and cool, as well as sheer laziness. They throw out the same old nominations for popular shows like even they don't really care. Big Bang Theory - there are so many talented actors on there who deserved recognition beyond just Jim Parsons (at least Mayim Bialik got a nod).

Giving any award to Downton Abbey for anything beyond costumes or sets makes no sense to me. The show is overrated and over the hill. As is their other prize pony, Mad Men.

I haven't seen House of Cards, and it's going to take a while before I can watch anything with Kevin Spacey because his hamming annoys me, but the endless nominations feels like attempting to show how daring and shocking they are.

• Members

Very happy about a lot of my faves -- Kerry Washington, Connie Britton, PETER!, Jeff Daniels, Morena and a few more welcoming additions and a few familiar faces. Sad some can't be nominated but I have no clue what they submit although there are just times when I view the Academy as a bunch of collective douches that never give actors or shows their rewards.

• Members

I agree DRW50 that is would be nice of more of the BBT cast could get some noms, they do have a lot of talented people. I really hope BBT can take the Outstanding Comedy award. Not only do I think the show deserves it, but it's been a long time since a Multi-Cam won it.

I really enjoyed House of Cards, so I'm happy to see it get some noms.

• Members

HoC may be a conscious attempt by the voters to give validity to watching shows online. If I were a voter I would be pulling for them too because the way network ratings are going I might need Netflix to hire me in a few years if I want to work. If Netflix becomes a legit and steady source of programming it means jobs for everyone in TV who doesn't want to do reality TV.

• Members

YES. I'll say it---DA hit the trifecta and played into the latent obsession Americans have with anything British. It's no accident the first major storyline was connected to the sinking of the Titanic on that centennial. Add in all the Will/Kate marriage hysteria and Fellows had a virtual license to print money.

Yeah, I admit, it's competent (if you don't mind random time jumps and the inexplicable social hierarchies). But if you take the exact same actors, costumes and stories, transplant it to NY in 1912---the result would have been one HUGE yawn.

Oh, and Hayden Paniterrie (yeah, not even close on that...) got jobbed. I don't know what the Connie Britton obsession is all about, but there's no BLEEPING way she deserved a nom over HP.

Archived