• Members

Wow..thanks for posting that Eric....I see B&B is up .5 in the ratings from 2 years ago. You dont see that in soaps nowadays.

Wow..thanks for posting that Eric....I see B&B is up .5 in the ratings from 2 years ago. You dont see that in soaps nowadays.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That word choice by Max annoys me too.

I see a LOT of stupid fans (I see a lot of stupid soap fans in general) who blame everything for the cancelation. But I don't really see this sense of "entitlement." While I find it pointless, it's not entitlement to decide to not watch a network becase they canceled your favorite show. It's not entitlement to--well I'm not sure what Max was saying but I gather he thinks when fans decide to hope for the best with the PP soaps that that's entitlement as well?

I don't mean to attack you Max--in other threads I really appreciate your posts, but when it comes o AMC and OLTL in general you seem just as biased as any fan--from posts complaining that other soaps deserve s much credit for social storylines, to ones about their fans (if you think ABC soap fans are nutty, wait till DAYS gets canceled....)

• Members

I think I said something in favor of the reduction. I remember saying that if fewer episodes meant there was more time for writing and production then I was all for it. I still feel that way. But i'll admit it, I HATE the two eps/week.

• Members

Yeah -- even with the cast departures.

No problem, my only point was I think the argument that OLTL had better and better ratings, or that AMC was way way in the gutter need to be dropped--though the "soap press" did perpetuate this. Either way, with so many bad ratings so close together, it was pretty arbitrary that any soap could go.

• Members

I kinda get were he was coming from when he used "Entitlement" but that is certainly not the best word. I think us ABC soap fans feel that we have rolled with the punches WAY to long. We stuck up with ABC's nonsense through thick and thin and we (or at least I) feel that we should FINALLY have some peace!! But instead they Cancelled the Nixon Soaps instead of trying to save them yet they gave us the impression they were going to fix them with sending Lucci on a tour saying AMC is not cancelled and giving LB a "Multi-Year Deal (still pisses me off more that anything)". All soap fans have felt that way at one point within the last 15 years. But then a company comes out of the woodwork to try to revers the cancellations of AMC/OLTL. I have a sense of entitlement to tell/inform PP how to treat our shows so we wont end up with another disaster. I feel like we are the "framers" of the US constitution because we are constructing a new medium!! The ABC soap fans may be a little Cocky/Conceded because we were picked up but not the PGP soaps BUT that is PGP's fault for not selling!! As far as things such as boycotting the networks? Well, The PGP soap fans did those things as well!

• Members
The sense of entitlement that I was referring to was mentioned by some previous posters; that some AMC and OLTL fans think their shows should last indefinitely because they have been around for decades and are "better than" prior cancelled soaps.

Eric, I am sorry that my comments upset you, because you weren't one of the people to whom I was referring. You have always been a voice of reason.

I totally agree with you about how the DOOL cancellation will play out. (The GH cancellation will play out the same way.) It will make the AMC/OLTL s-hitstorm seem like a Sunday School picnic.

I'm not upset that the PGP soaps weren't picked up, because the little fuss generated over their cancellations signaled to potential buyers that those shows didn't have much of a future. However, the cockiness and gloating (over the fact that the Nixon soaps were given another chance) on the part of some does bother me. More sensitivity should have been shown to fans of all other cancelled soaps.

• Members

Max, I'm sorry they did not bring back ATWT and GL but the fact is they didn't and we have no responsibility for that. Nor did we bring back AMC and OLTL.

If I had my way I'd love to see some of the P&G shows revived in this format - particularly GL - but it's not up to me. And it's nothing I can or will apologize for, nor should any other ABC soap fan. And since that's all you've been telling us to do for you for at least two years, I wish you'd begin to take the hint that life is sometimes unfair and we aren't the ones who are making you unhappy by continuing to preserve efforts to revive the ABC soaps.

• Members
You don't have to apologize for that, Vee. Thank you for your kind words.

I just wish some would realize that my attitudes towards whether or not the PP venture would succeed weren't influenced in any way by the fact that they chose to bring back AMC/OLTL instead of GL/ATWT. Either way, the odds of commercial success would never have been good because (1) a large portion of the a soap's pre-cancellation viewers would be unaware about the move to the internet and (2) bringing back a soap after a long hiatus makes things even more complicated, since many non diehard viewers are creatures of habit.

Ironically, despite all my AMC/OLTL complaints, the reboots are much better than I thought PP would give us. The flaws that we do see on screen--namely non-lavish sets (due to the slender budget) and more focus on the younger characters than I would like--are relatively minor.

As a final matter, I don't feel sorry for the Nixon soap fans and I do. I know that's a hypocritical and contradictory statement, but one is only human to feel badly for people who have been promised the moon by PP, only to be repeatedly let down and given spin by the same company.

• Members

Was ATWT not treated with much fanfare when it was canceled? I was in the hospital for 8 weeks with a stomach aneurism when it happened, and I just remember reading a feature on the front page of our Arts section when it was announced and talking to my mom about how it had to do with P&G and I didn't think it would affect the ABC soaps (ha!) at the time. And then getting many texts from my two friends who were working on the show and had a history with it.

Was ATWT not treated with much fanfare when it was canceled? I was in the hospital for 8 weeks with a stomach aneurism when it happened, and I just remember reading a feature on the front page of our Arts section when it was announced and talking to my mom about how it had to do with P&G and I didn't think it would affect the ABC soaps (ha!) at the time. And then getting many texts from my two friends who were working on the show and had a history with it.

• Members

I think the reason ATWT was glossed over is because that's what Chris Goutman wanted. He purposely had the show written like it wasn't being canceled and it's not like they were looking for a new home either. He just didn't care. There were returns here and there, but overall it was business as usual with new characters being added. You could tell the writers hands were tied in that regard.

• Members

I am with you. I really hate the reduction and ONLY 2 episodes a week. Too dragged out and too slow with the storyline. Stories don't move fast enough with 2 episode per week formula. The storylines just linger on and on in limbo never getting anywhere. A viewer has to wait 6 months for any new progress. That is HALF of a whole year. Something is wrong with that.

I am with you. I really hate the reduction and ONLY 2 episodes a week. Too dragged out and too slow with the storyline. Stories don't move fast enough with 2 episode per week formula. The storylines just linger on and on in limbo never getting anywhere. A viewer has to wait 6 months for any new progress. That is HALF of a whole year. Something is wrong with that.

• Members

Speaking purely for myself, I think I do hold the Nixon soaps as superior in a way. And I realize that's basically only because AMC was what got me into soaps as an 11 year old who thought soaps were awful--and then quickly became obsessed (GL became my second favorite soap as a kid simply because it was the oldest, and one of the few soap books I could find at the library back then was Schemering's 50th Anniversary book and there were two records of radio episodes from it as well as one of spin-off Right to Happiness.) Also, the show was damn good at the moment, and my only family friends who watched soaps all watched the CBS lineup except for AMC--I think because of how the scheduling was handled in Alberta. I have a snobby family (which I'm sure has run off on me) who hated that I watched soaps, but my dad pointed me in their direction when I became AMC obsessed with his friend who was a novelist and his kids, so I caught up with them--and then I moved on to my Agnes Nixon obsession when I realized she had written Loving with the Carter Jones cross-over, and then I started watching OLTL cuz of the gay Billy Douglas story.

• Members

This is a genuine question--where did you see the cockiness? Were there articles I missed?

I do think the cancelations rode on the P&G soaps coat-tails, in that people realized these shows people loved could actually be canceled. In a way I think that should be a plus for them.

• Members

For all we know, there might have been interest to keep GL and ATWT going.. but if P & G were unwilling to lease the rights out.. or even sell them.. then that could be why they were never kept on nor revived.. not cause of a lack of fan interest. I think Crystal Chappel said that most of the cast were willing to take pay cuts, etc if the show moved to the internet but it didn't happen so I'm thinking P & G just wanted to be rid of the soaps but were unwilling to sell them nor lease them to another production company.

I know that ABC wanted to buy Edge of Night.. I know CBS tried to purchase both GL & ATWT as far back as the mid 90s. So interest was always there from other entities.. but P & G refused to sell them.

Archived