• Members

This--- from day 1, I have thought it would have been just fine if they just brought RH on as a witty publisher with a dark side to throw in Carly's orbit, ME as a new cop and KA as a new character or even Serena or some GH child. I might not have loved it but I would have understood it as an attempt to keep their friends employed and maybe pick up some OLTL viewers-- pretty par for the course in the soap business. Instead they lost all sense of what was rational and logical and respectful of the history of both shows. And now we have RH's hair bleached with peroxide.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not sure who you're arguing with? Nearly everyone on here--from the most over the top optimistic to the most pessimistic, who has been enjoying the reboots says they'll enjoy them while they have them and hope for the best. I don't think anyone here was at ther protest you showed--and if they were, so what? I don't see people here living in some fake reality where they need AMC to survive--it seems more likeyou're answering some perceived person in your own head?

• Members

As I've stated, It was in regards to a post cassadine1991 made in regards to GH - as if GH were canceled would Chit and others not "give a damn."

I perhaps went into a sidebar and completely off topic, so apologies if you didn't follow along. But my point is, people and viewers move on. Not everyone is a fanatic who won't get over a show being canceled, which is something I've seen across a few message boards and posters on trash like Daytime Confidential. The opinion that these shows should somehow live on forever and somehow cancellation is never justified or within the realm of possibility - I've seen this opinion from a lot of posters in a variety of places, not specifically here.

And my post had nothing to do with that. Where did I reference viewers who were or weren't enjoying these reboots and those hoping for the best for them? I wasn't claiming to present the general consensus of this board specifically.

I would think there are much more important things to protest than your favourite show being canceled. After seeing that, I can see why soaps fans are given a bad name by many on the network and industry side.

And I wasn't referencing anyone on this board specifically.

Is this supposed to be some type of insult? unsure.pnghuh.png

• Members

I 100% agree with the sentiment some have expressed that there is a huge feeling of entitlement among a sizable portion of AMC & OLTL fans. First, many can't even accept that their shows were cancelled for legitimate business reasons (but maintain that it was a huge mistake for ABC to cancel them). Then, they have been thrown a non-stop pity party by the soap press. I have never witnessed fans of any other shows being pampered and pandered to so much.

LOL how the diehards had no problem spinning each prior PP news release. "It's a good thing that we're getting two episodes per week instead of four, cause that will give viewers time to catch up." "It's a positive development that the creative forces behind the shows are being replaced". (In theory that could be true, but it is a bad sign when creative people are fired and the shows haven't even been around for a month.) However, given this latest news, there is just no spinning the fact that the Nixon soaps are in serious trouble.

• Members

There are separate fan groups involved in this. A lot of the anger from some over OLTL's cancelation came from people who would sacrifice a goat for "Cartini." Those people have been far more blase about OLTL returning without Ron and Frank, and never cared about AMC in the first place. That's one of the reasons some fans have been vocal about PP in these returns, because they know that other fans, especially some of the more vocal fans, would be happy to see these shows gone once and for all, to prove a point.

The legitimate business reason from ABC was horribly handled, with Frons telling viewers, essentially, that they were fat and stupid. Aside from The Chew, which does OK but has declined, their other shows have failed, one of them being a very expensive failure (Katie).

• Members
I agree that ABC handled the PR over the cancellations horribly. But there were still legitimate business reasons to cancel both shows. AMC was dead last, and a costly move to LA did nothing to help its financial situation. OLTL's "terrific ratings" (which were still nothing to brag about) that caused it to surpass GH didn't occur until March 2011. (Just one month before the official announcement, and likely past the time the actual decision was made.) Soaps are so expensive, so it makes sense to cancel unless you are getting Y&R type ratings. The Chew (which at first I enjoyed, but now can't stand) is almost certainly more profitable than AMC, even if viewership is slightly down. And even if ABC struck out with OLTL's replacements, the network could nevertheless be better off without it because (1) soaps are so expensive and (2) there was no guarantee that OLTL's late 2011 ratings would have held.

• Members

Personally, I think the AMC/OLTL fans should be thankful they've already gotten what they've gotten, and that what they've gotten from PP is pretty damned GOOD.

If PP hasn't covered their asses with the union, they have no one to blame but themselves.

• Members

Lmao. That "the Revolution" lasted 3 months in oltl's time slot before being replaced by GAA then GH which still sucks? Yeah. It's not entitlement but recognition that abc made a poor decision. I await your applause when they cancel their last remaining suck feast.

• Members

I don't read other forums, so can only speak of here. But I didn't see ANYONE saying two episodes a week was good or buying the viewer catch up line. Most people thought it was a line and that PP didn't have the time and/or money to do as many episodes as quickly as they wanted.

As for a pity party pandering to us fans... Umm. Wha? I guess since I don't buy soap rags (though I did get the tribute magazines--I also got the GH anniversary one for what its worth and the ATWT one) I don't quite understand. I know they endlessly reported that they were coming back then they weren't, etc, but that's because they have nothing better to talk about and they saw that there were some nutty fans who would buy every second of gossip. I don't consider myself a blind PP supporter at all (and as I made clear if anyone read my posts, I NEVER thought these shows were even going to come back--nor did I even question ABC cancelling the shows except in that I said I wished they hadn't and thought it was short-sighted) but yet I can't read your posts about this without seeing some sort of bitterness. I apologize if you are refering to other forums I haven't read--and honestly I don't know what soaps you watched or why you would be bitter, but...

• Members

I think the ratings stuff is over-thought (not only by you but by many.) Here are the ratings for one of AMC's lowest weeks in its final year--before the cancelation was announced. Compare it to the other soaps and OLTL. (And I went through the archives--because I have no life--and picked the lowest there for 2011--there were many weeks it was not last--it was second to last in demos lol hardly an improvement, but...)

March 14 '11

Total Viewers

1. Y&R 4,734,000 (-91,000/-369,000)

2. B&B 2,948,000 (+137,000/-240,000)

3. GH 2,593,000 (-94,000/+61,000)

4. OLTL 2,427,000 (+72,000/+113,000)

5. AMC 2,396,000 (+58,000/+105,000)

6. DAYS 2,316,00 (-172,000/-522,000)

Households

1. Y&R 3.4/11 (-.1/-.3)

2. B&B 2.1/7 (+.1/-.2)

3. GH 1.9/6 (-.1/same)

4. AMC 1.8/6 (same/same)

4. OLTL 1.8/6 (same/same)

6. DAYS 1.7/6 (-.1/-.4) <---- ties low

Women 18-49 Viewers

1. Y&R 907,000 (-97,000/-237,000)

2. GH 730,000 (-29,000/-159,000)

3. B&B 628,000 (+66,000/-35,000)

4. OLTL 579,000 (+36,000/-105,000)

5. DAYS 549,000 (-92,000/-172,000)

6. AMC 548,000 (+85,000/-79,000)

Women 18-49 Rating

1. Y&R 1.4/9 (-.1/-.3)

2. GH 1.1/7 (same/-.2)

3. B&B 1.0/6 (+.1/same)

4. DAYS 0.9/6 (-.1/-.3) <---- ties low

4. OLTL 0.9/6 (same/-.2)

6. AMC 0.8/6 (+.1/-.1)

I honestly didn't see that. I did see a couple of people (literally) admit that they felt guilty as they had fallen behind (which is silly nonsense to feel guilty about and Id blame PP for implying they should.) I also saw people sorta shrug their soulders and say "Well two is better than nothing, but I wish we could have had at least 3" etc. And I saw a lot of "PP supporters complaining.

• Members

Y&R World Turner, I apologize. Re-reading my thread I sound much more mean spirited than I intended--and much more like one of those nutty fans I claim to say Iam not. :P Sorry.

I get most of your post--I guess I read your original post as you referencing people on this board specifically.

As for protesting--I think it's a waste of time. Then again, some shows have been saved by fanprotests (very rarely, mind you)--and while some of the protesting fans embarass me, I can'treally say"Why don't you protest a more worthy cause like gay marriage." Maybe they do that too? I dunno, I have many causes I feel are important and never attend protests as I feel there are more productive ways to deal with it, so who a I to say.

Archived