PP: AMC & OLTL to air twice weekly

• Members

I do expect that a mandate for both shows from the start was to put a big amount of focus on young characters--that's not really a secret. As to if the HWs were a scapegoat--one obvious fact is McPherson and Racina, at least, probably do come with a heftier wage than promoting from within, which they've now done. This doesn't worry me so much because I think the choices for AMC at least stand as good a chance as thew outed HWs at writing compelling AMC stories--if not more, but I'm sure that played some factor.

My main issue with reading this thread is when I read BrookenAdam's posts it takes me literally like 30 seconds to realize who all these abbreviations nad worse, the horrible "smushed" couple names are--even though most of them like "Pelia" I guess I should know by now, LOL.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think this is exactly why we got the HW change, not because of PP freaking out over story direction or overexposure of the younger cast. (Isn't Jessica Klein's biggest credit several years of original recipe Beverly Hills 90210?). Thom Racina, creator of the supercouple, could not have been cheap and while I liked him, I can totally see them getting some long story established with him and then deciding to hand off to two capable cheaper scriptwriters with primetime experience.

• Members

It just came to me while catching up on my Soaps, there is a Soap with the 2 half hour eps week format.

It's a Irish language soap but it has English subtitles. It's called Ros na Run and it can be watched online on the tg4 website( not sure if it has location restrictions)

It's abit different to oltl/amc as it runs in seasons, so isnt shown over the Summer.

Also the cast is smaller which imo works as every character has a storyline. It also has some quite gritty storys Rape, Abortion, Murder, Pedophiles etc.

I think cutting down casts might be a good idea if they stick with 1hr of shows a week.

• Members

All Thom Racina did was write a sci fi book about freezing the world and was at hand during a writer's strike and lent his story idea to GH when Gloria wanted it. Luke and Laura were well in place before he got there so this constant mantra of 'he created a supercouple' doesn't work for me. Gloria Monty created the 'supercouple' and that's the ONLY person that created them.

What he did on DOOL I don't care. But for GH he created a silly story about freezing PC.

• Members

I want AJ and Miranda to miss the SAME episode. Make it a foursome and Pete and Celia can join in the missing. It would clear a whole bunch of airtime for others I actually care about.

I don't even want to think about the number of episodes Brooke 'First Lady of Pine Valley' has missed. Or the fact that in some scenes she's been given ONE line to say. One scene she stood there holding Adam Jr's suitcase while Bianca gets this big tear and said 'Enough Bianca.' She gives Miranda permission to stay at HER house and she can't even be seen for that. Dixie - the woman who RUINED her marriage and is apparently living with her and Adam AGAIN WTF? - has to relay it was done offscreen. It's beyond absurd Brooke would under ANY condition have Dixie living there. It's worse than Brooke chooses to listen to practical stranger Celia go on about her date then go to the hospital to see Adam Jr after a 5 yr coma.

Whatever the dictates from PP were or weren't about featuring the youth that nonsensical garbage is on MM/ES.

• Members

Going by what Cady said she was told by PP. And I've seen many complaints from others that are toying with not watching because they feel the shows are just about the young ones and the vets are just props.

Now again today Jen Pepperman was on Twitter assuring Dorian stuff was coming up. Either she's taking it upon herself to respond to the complaints or PP told her to. Either way I wasn't seeing this before the switch was announced.

Don't know about hefty paychecks and the replacement I was referring to were the ones for AMC where there's the most problem with lack of balance and where Cady works. I believe - if not THE reason - a big reason for the AMC replacements was due to the overexposure of the kids.

• Members

I get that you love Brooke and Adam, but Brooke is NOT the 'First Lady of Pine Valley.' She didn't EXIST as a character until years after the show premiered, and she drifted off into obscurity without a storyline years before the show ended, making only sporadic appearances. If anyone was a First Lady of Pine Valley (a ridiculous and pointless title), that title belonged to Phoebe Wallingford, who as you know has long since died.

As for the living arrangement, I got the impression that Dixie staying there was temporary until JR was a bit better physically and mentally, and that Dixie wants to try to help JR mend his relationship with AJ - who as you know ALSO lives in Chandler Mansion. Brooke is clearly not the type to hold grudges (she's not Erica after all), and after all of the years that she, Tad and Dixie jointly raised JR and Jamie, I could see her being okay with Dixie staying there. Brooke is obviously over what happened to her marriage 20+ years ago - remember BROOKE is the one who had Tad's only son, in what was possibly the best example of karma ever dished out on a soap, but they all managed to put that behind them and raise Jamie and JR in one big dysfunctional family. Brooke is the one who is engaged to Adam now, not Dixie. Dixie is the mother of Adam's son, who is staying at Adam and Brooke's house. It makes sense for her to stay there temporarily.

In other words - you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Would I like to see more Brooke? Sure, and we know more is coming because of developments at Chandler.

• Members

I think Thom Racina only got the job originally because of Susan H. It seems that PP wanted Susan H, and he came as part of that package. Once Susan left, then the show didn't see fit to keep him on.

Though I read a rumour (that was said to be untrue, but after watching 16 episodes, I'm wondering if there was some truth to it) that Susan H wanted to feature the veterans equally but that PP didn't want this.. and that she partly left cause of that. I know she has a thriving self-help practice, etc but I wonder if having to fight to maintain the balance of characters was too much for her.

• Members

I heard a rumor Jeff kwatinez was really mean to Susan Horgan causing her to exit. Thom IMO was part of the package deal and I didn't see him staying. Especially when I saw the writers oltl episode and Jessica klien was doing all the talking in the writers room.

• Members

If true, kind of sad.. considering that she had the background on OLTL to get the ball rolling.

I liked Jessica Klein more after seeing the writers room interview... glad she is open to talking to the actors.. and that she stated how she had some ideas for Dorian, but after talking to Robin Strasser... she got inspired with even more ideas on where to take Dorian... and was glad that Robin was on board.

I know Douglas marland always said to talk to the actors cause who better to know the characters then the actors themselves.

• Members

You have a point with alternating characters/storylines each episode where all cast feel included and all characters are on the canvas. You are right about not wanting every episode to have the feel that it is just one filler after the other, never making real progress in storylines.

• Members

There is a fine line to be drawn with Vets - vs - Young cast on enough time for both with overdoing anyone. If PP needs new viewers for the long run of the show, then the new young cast is the future of the show. A new viewer will not know about the vets characters and are going into the show wide eyed and learning all characters to include the young cast too. The age demographics is key to advertisers which is important. PP wants to get the youth demo's and so they will push hard for that. Longtime fans like the vets because they know the characters and their history.

Now how to balance all of that?

Archived