PP: AMC & OLTL to air twice weekly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Webmaster

There are two PR teams. One deals with Prospect Park directly (business side) while the other deals with The OnLine Network (consumer side). When someone from production is hired or fired, or if something big happens like Snoop Lion or (heck) Susan Lucci...Prospect Park PR kicks in (this includes Social Media). When casting deets such as the recent PGP one's or Matthew Coyles/Michael Nader...TOLN PR. They work together, but each handles specific parts. The writer changes occurred from the PP PR side, the Consumer side was not working on Friday.

• Members

Don't think this was posted yet, what seems like a truly from-the-heart message by Jeff Kwatinetz in response to an email from a fan, talking about the scheduling change and whether it could be revised if the numbers justify it .... Makes me feel a lot better about both the change and the depth of Prospect Park's dedication to making the shows succeed:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rkgbr9

• Members

Hate to say it because I LOATHE Frons. I mean loathe but when he first came on as Pres he emailed a response to me about Robin Strasser and about how important he felt she was to OLTL.

No way is that the same as the great HEARTFELT letter from Jeff - which doesn't surprise me one bit because I just feel they're (Rich too) both very dedicated in a not just for show way to these two shows. But it has happened with 'the networks.'

• Members

It feels like a package deal, but I think that both shows should be marketed differently. It would be saying that Dallas & knots landing int he 1980s were a package deal when both shows couldn't be more different from one another. The marketing for both shows were different, and the demos for both shows were different (men & women watched Dallas, women/gay men watched Knots Landing).

I think that PP needs to think of both shows as separate entities and market them differently. OLTL is more edgy/urban (market the HBO loving crowd) while AMC is more family & peyton Place (so market to the more traditional viewer).

• Members

Quite frankly yes. PP sold these to investors as package deal. I guess they didn't realize just because they happen to be cancelled (and GH very well could've made it 3 that day) the same day doesn't mean the audience was watching both. I've always watched the entire ABC lineup but many are just either or fans and I think PP needs to deal with the reality they will remain that way.

I know many that have only interest in one not the other and it's not going to change but they're trying to get people to watch both. I wish they would just come out and tell the viewers straight what needs to happen to keep the shows going. If it's we need you to watch with the 1st 3 days of airing (preferably the 1st) and BOTH shows then people will do it. But they don't want to go back on their big selling point of 'watch ANYTIME when YOU want to.' They made the, imo, mistake of trying the 'you' selling point of 'for you to keep up we've lessened the episodes' that just read to many who watched 5 hrs a week with no problem 'BECAUSE of YOU' and it all came out looking like they were placing blame. There's already a lack of trust from their first efforts so that did them no favors.

They need EACH episode of EACH show to be viewed at least 500k times within 3 days of 1st airing. That's what they need. How they're going about getting this achieved with the PR releases leaves something to be desired. Also, it's very true that crew are being worked ridiculously long hours and that should've been stressed by them as well. The actors seem to better at explaining then they are. I think viewers just want it bottomlined to them. I hope they start doing that.

• Members

I agree with this 100%. The shows seem to be a package in PP's eyes- they share studio space, they were launched together, they were licensed together, they were presented to investor together. If PP didn't view them as a package, I think we would have seen one launched first for a 12-16 week season and then them trying the other later. I get why they got caught up in the package idea- I do think there were many fans who watched both- myself included. But I think everyone has one that they love more, thats their heart and with the online model- its easier to focus on your favorite if you don't have tons of time and let the other one sit until the weekend or the next week. I also think many of the fans who watched the entire lineup for 40 years might be the fans who are having trouble following over to the new format.

I sent PP an email that basically hit on your second and third paragraph- just level and tell fans what we need to do to make this profitable. If PP needs me to watch OLTL standing on my head at 4 am and clicking every ad with my nose and do the same for AMC the next day, I'll do that. I think a lot of fans will. But they need to tell us & that long email about viewing patterns (when I don't even think viewership was the main issue) makes me skeptical that we're going to get any sort of straight talk.

Archived